HybridZ

z31 throttle cable and pedal swap into 280z

fl327

Im not sure if it will work on all early z cars, but it worked like a charm on my 75. I have always been using the z31 cable instead of linkage, but didnt like the way I hooked it up to the pedal-and it was jerky sometimes. Yesterday I got a z31 pedal and a few throttle quandrants and brackets.

The pedal is almost a direct swap in! I unbolted the original pedal from my car, removed the spring and mounting bracket by pulling off the eclip, and put the 300zx pedal in its place. On the 75 pedal, I had to bore out the pivot holes a little bit to accept the bushings from the 300zx pedal, put the z31 spring in and put the eclip back on. Boom, pedal side is done.

For the cable, I ran it to the tb linkage, hooked it up to the factory spot for it (using true Silvia 60mm throttle body, same as 240sx tb, but mines JDM 8) ) and used the adjustment bracket from z31 and found a spot to secure it down near the tb, and ran it back to the firewall and hooked it up the pedal----PERFECT LENGTH and FIT!!!!

Much smoother operation than before. The pedal feels like its on the floor, but it is more responsive with less pedal effort, and it does give me the jerky sensation while cruising, very nice.

Just thought it was worthwhile to share, since the z31 pedal has a bracket for throttle cable applications, it may be good to swap in with different engines that require changing to a throttle cable, or if you are strange like me and used a big tb without a spacer.

Just sharing.

I thought about just welding the bracket from z31 to the z pedal, but decided to try and mount it first, went in good, so I bored the holes out to make it clean. Stock firewall hole lines up with the pedal almost perfectly, I had to file that up a little for better geometry,the cable is almost perfect length.

• 6 years later...

Hmm I don't recall if I ever mentioned this before, but I did the 300zx gas pedal/cable swap back in 2000 when I put in the VG30ET into my 280z. Fits beautiful, and a nice feel. Hooked up perfect (obviously) to my VG throttle body! I guess I never thought of it being used in the S30 for other setups that could be converted to a cable linkage!

Now linked in Hybridz for ever.