HybridZ

My Z's first kill

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

On my way home from an outing this evening, I was having fun playing around in my Z. As I was cruising down the road I spied a nice white convertible Camaro ahead of me (early to mid 90's). Caught up with him about a block after I spotted him and pulled up next to him at a signal light. (I think he noticed I was up to something cuz I jumped from the left lane through the center to the right lane to pull up in the open lane next to him). I glanced over and it was some kid (maybe about 18 ), of course, who am I to be calling him a kid, I'm just 22. Anyways, looked like the typical teen around here who probably had his mommy and daddy buy the car from him. He gave it a little rev. (Didnt sound like much, it appeared to be bone stock). I didnt really want to hit it hard off the line if he wasnt going to so when the light turned green I just went about normal. Just as I shifted into second gear he decides that he wants to punch it and comes from behind me and passes me. After he gets about 2-3 car lengths in front of me, I glance over at my girlfriend (who seems to be a might squeemish about fast driving) and I punch it too. In seconds I am door to door with him. Now that Camaro exhaust starts to come alive. He is giving it all he's got (he's even leaning forward like it is going to accomplish something). I take it to about 6500 and pull past the front of the Camaro and slam it into third and pull away with ease. By now it is time to back off cuz we are on surface streets so I back off and prepare for my turn at the intersection and he passes by with his girlfriend taking a look at my car :) ) Maybe he should have asked mommy and daddy for some money for mods. :lol:

that car is pretty quick with the 83 drivetrain, it smoked my old 78z like nothing all the way from downtown to the sunset district, about 6miles.

we raced almost every light, and that car smoked my stocker five out of five times, as well as trounced a civic and hung door to door with a turbo 2 with exhaust and a blow off. I beat the civic too in my stock 280z :D

the 3.9s were destroying me out of the hole.

My son has a '97 Firebird with the 3.8L V-6 and a 5-spd. It would trounce both my '77 280Z and my NA '83 280ZX - although it was closer with the ZX. In convertible form and with an automatic it probably would be a different story though. He doesn't even suggest a run against my LS1 equiped 280Z now. He's driven it once. He came back and thanked me for making his car seem slow!

Guest bastaad525

I got the BEST F'IN KILL LAST NIGHT!!!! Mind you this is with my engine that blows major smoke any time I get on it... I know I shouldn't be racing it but I could not resist. It's that fact that makes this kill all the more satisfying I guess! A nice, brand new (no plates even on it yet) silver 350Z convertible :) This was the first time I've driven by one and the owner seemed to show any recognition at all that our cars were related... Most 350z owners I've actually spoke with either thru the windows at a red light or in some parking lot... really dont recognize a 240 for what it is and how it relates to their car.... what a shame. So anyways this guy in the silver 350 looked over and goes "nice... that a '71?" "Close enough, '72" and he says something like "Classic... great cars man... it fast?" "I dunno, is it? :twisted:" He grins back, revs the engine up a little and holds it, and starts watchin the light, and I do the same. Light goes green and this guy starts spinning the tires pretty bad, I slip the clutch to launch and get it moving, about half way thru the intersection the boost comes on and my tires spin for a second or so, and from there I had him :) I had like two cars on him by the time I let off in the top of second gear. I think it coulda been a lot closer if he didn't spin his tires so badly. Anyways I pull off at the next light to make a left and he goes by with the obligatory thumbs up.... gotta wonder what was going thru his head at that moment :) For me... that was all the justification I needed for the money spent and still spending on this turbo conversion :twisted:

nice kill both of you guys... i LOVE the 350Z, i drove one at NOPI at the BFGoodrich challenge around a auto-x type deal. it was auto and man it was quick, and MAN DID IT HANDLE!

i want one for a daily driver... :twisted:

Guest bastaad525

yeah I do wonder how well I'd be able to deal with one of those on twisty roads... i do have a decent suspension setup, Eibach pro kit springs on tokico shocks... never really driven too many good handling cars so to me this is the best handling car I've ever ridden in, but I wonder how it compares to newer sports cars. I know I need some strut tower bars.... body does roll a bit on sharp turns... grips like crazy though. Last time i went for a quick blast down a local twisty mountain road, I was pushing the car in the turns really hard and reached a limit, but not the limit of the cars ability to grip, rather, the limit of my courage to push any further :) and not one squeek from the tires. Mind you I have no seatbelts installed and this is on the stock factory vinyl seats... so the steering wheel was really the only thing I could hold on to to keep me in in the seat! That's how hard I was cornering with it. In my old ZX I know the limit came much sooner, and the rears would always make noise when I'd push it in the turns, and that was with a very similiar suspension setup. And I never took turns so fast in that car. On roads like that I can really feel the difference in the 240's weight from my old ZX.

I do want a 350 though :) like I posted on another thread... my dream garage houses exactly three cars

'71 240 turbo putting out 400-600hp - getaway car

'71 240 automatic, convertible conversion, with ac and power everything - sunday cruiser

'04 350Z with supercharger and all the best mods available - daily driver

well even with my suspension which is pretty hardcore from what ppl tell me, i still doubt it will handle as nice or as good as my dads Z06... that thing just hauls ass around turns, and man does it grip.

i guess ill see how well my Z handles in like 15 or so years when its driveable :evil::cry::(:oops::roll::cry::cry::x

they should have a smile face where it pulls a gun and shoots itself in the face,,, because i would have used that 10000000000000 time.

mike

Guest bastaad525

Okay but then the question is, how can you get a 240 to handle as good as say a Z06, or a 350z? Or is it even possible? I would think that the light weight of the 240 gives it a huge advantage, that with a suspension setup and tires comparable to either of those two cars, it shouldn't be too hard to get it to handle that well. I read in a comparison article the other day that the big problem with the Z06 is that you really gotta be careful with the right foot in turns... soooo easy to go into oversteer, whereas the 350z was much more balanced and 'confidence inspiring at the limit'. I'll bet with a 'hardcore' suspension setup in a 240 (I'm curious to hear what you have on yours) and some good tires you could probably outhandle either one of those cars. But I gotta admit, the handling aspect of sports cars in general is pretty far out of my range of understanding as of yet, as I've spent the last five years just learning how to go fast in a straight line.

i have the following suspension mods.

17x10 rear, 17x9 CCW wheels which are very light weight.

275-40-ZR17 rear, 255-40-ZR17 front yokohama ES100's.

Mike Kelly's adjustable control arms (front).

energy suspension master bushing kit.

energy suspension bigger bump stops.

tokico illumina 5-way adjustable gas struts.

section struts.

modern motorsports coilover kit, 225 front, 250 rear spring rates.

bigger sway bars.

Nismo quick steer knuckles.

MSA 15in and bigger Bump steer spacers.

im sure im missing a few things but you get the idea..

im sure there are Z's on here that can out handle a stock Z06 and 350Z easily, like johnc's car :D...

but i dunno if they could also make it ride as smooth and everything as say a Z06 or 350Z. because the ride in my dads car is soooooo nice, stiff but not hard at all, quiet, firm, etc etc... its a very nice ride.

and about the Z06 and the right foot.. your right.. but thats when you take the traction control off and just give it even more gas :) it just screams around a turn.

mike

Guest bastaad525

ON3GO - that IS a very hardcore setup... I'd bet my money you could keep pace with either 350z or Z06 in the turns, if not even better them... again, even with my simple suspension setup, my car sticks so well... I mean I'm taking these sharp turns rated 35mph at like 60-80 mph on this mountain road and I swear not one squeek from the tires. I'm holding on for dear life and the car isn't even breaking a sweat. You're right though the ride is definately rough, much more stiff and uncomfortable than any new car... but not so bad that I dont want to drive it... I'm constantly finding excuses to go for a drive! And I'm sure your's isn't the most comfortable ride in the world either but who cares it must be a blast to drive that thing!

JKDGabe - heheh I know I know.... right now I'm just concentrating on getting the car running right. I know I gotta get some in there. Well I'm kinda holding out if only because I want to get some raciign seats and those will have the harnesses anyways....

I gotta admit though even when I do have seatbelts I'm really bad about putting them on :(