HybridZ

In need of a T3 or T3/T4!

Jersey

Anyone have one in good condition looking to sell? I finally got to look at my cousins smoking '83ZXT last night. Pulled the J-pipe off and found a little pool of oil where the boot coupler for the J-pipe connects to the T3. Yanked the AFM to T3 boot off and the compressor side of the T3 has so much side to side movement, it's amazing it hasn't grenaded on him yet! Oil must be just blowing by that seal. So either i'm going to get a new/used T3 for him or, a T3/T4 for me (:D) and give him my T3.

Guest bastaad525

how much do T3/04's go for anyways?

hey Jersey, was there a lot of oil built up in the J-pipe too? I did see a tiny 'pool' of oil right there too, but the oil level inside the j-pipe has not gotten any worse, also there is no oil coating the inside of the 'neck' the part of the turbo that connects to the j-pipe. I checked the compressor and it didn't have any play at all.

Does anyone know what the 'pattern' of smoke is if your turbo seal is bad? when will it smoke the worst and when will it not smoke at all?

Hi Jersey, I say go for the T3/T4, it really pulls a lot harder.

However, there will be limited gain if you don't intercool 8) the car since you won't be able to sustain high boost with the high T3/T4 flow. I got mine for $450 from alex costa (precision machines) and it's worked out nicely. Also you still need to make a few minor adjustments to fit the t3/t4 such as shortening the J pipe, and adapting the AFM to turbo boot since the inlet on the t3/t4 is much bigger. you may also want to consider a spacer for the manifold to turbo section, but can do without it (I got all the fittings/adapters I needed from home depot).

Sincerely,

Jerky boy :roll:

Thanks jerky boy :D If it were my Z (and i'm trying hard to come up with an extra $600 right now :twisted: ) i would definetly go T3/T4. I basically convinced my cousin to go this route and he's ready to spend the $, i just need to figure out the best configuration of a T3/T4 to choose for him. I'm trying to read as many postst in the archives to give him a well configured hybrid to spend his $ on. He just wants to get the L28ET running perfect in the '83 body and then swap it into a 240 and i know he has 350-450hp intentions down the road, i just want to steer him in the right direction. I was thinking 60-1 Compressor trim with stage 3 turbine wheel w/.63 AR turbine housing. Whattya think? Any suggestions? Maybe i'll make a new post to see what everyone's running and what works best and compare thier setups to the setup my cousin will have. i'd hate to suggest a T3/T4 to him and find out the L28ET never gets it spooled and I basically wasted his $600!!! Then again, i'll know not to get that configuration when i buy my hybrid :lol: j/k. Thanks again.

Guest bastaad525

so... you can run a t3/04 on stock injection still? I know I've read something like "more power at the same amount of boost" so if I'm boosting 9-10psi on my stock turbo, and switch to a hybrid, can I still run 9-10psi on stock injection, AND make more power?

Yes you would make more power with 9-10 psi t3/t4 then you would with the stock turbo at 9-10 psi. The reason you make more power is the turbo can spin slower (so less heat build up and less reverbations of the air) on the intake (t4) side of the turbo to make the same boost as the smaller wheeled t3 turbo. But on a stock engine there is a limit of how much power you can make. No matter what boost you throw at it, may it be 15psi on a t3 or 9psi on a t3/t4 you can not over do the fuel system. You can safely run 240-250 rwhp on the stock fuel system after this you need to look into injectors, fuel pump, engine management, intercooler, and etc...

Ted Schmidt