HybridZ

What problems to look for in a 280zx Turbo????

Guest EvoGenesisX

Guest EvoGenesisX

Today I am going to go look at a 280zx Turbo that this kid is selling for $600. I was wondering what types of things or parts that I should look at in the engine and transmission to see if the engine is still good? Are there any other problems that I should watch our for? I don't want to buy a ZX Turbo car and the car will be in the junk yard in a month.

Thanks

Guest EvoGenesisX

My plans for the car is a transplant. The 280zx Turbo is a automatic, the O2 sensor is missing, and the car shuts down after a 20 mintue drive becuase of something wrong with the ignition coil or something Can I still use the engine and all the other parts for the transplant into a 240z manual, and can all these probelms be fixed

$600 is a deal for a running turbo car, regardless (almost) of the condition. I spent $750 for mine, an '82 2+2 that had been bent sideways around a tree. I almost died from the exhaust coming in the 2" gap in the rear hatch driving it home.

If the engine sounds good and makes power, it's a good deal. You might pull the plugs and do a compression test, maybe pull the valve cover and check for cam wear. Chances are if it's got less than 150k miles, you have no worries. My first engine had 180k miles, and I ran 13s with it.

Guest EvoGenesisX

Well i guess I will take the car then.....is there anything else that I need to know doing a 280zx turbo auto to a 240z manual ? Also are there any unknown problems with a 1982 280zx turbo that will occur later in life?