HybridZ

windshiled wipers question.

ASA240Z

You'll want to do a search. This topic came up a few weeks ago, but I don't think anyone had any earth-shattering revelations to share.

I took my motor and gearbox apart and cleaned/lubed it, and I got a 10% improvement in wiper speed. I think it went from something like 25 strokes/minute to 28 or so.

If you happen to find a good option that will fit w/o major mods, be sure to post it!!!

On my 280Z, the wipers are kinda slow too. the motor seems to go fast enough with the linkages off, so I assume the rusty linkage connections are making it slow down and go klunk, klunk, klunk. I was thinking of an acid bath to clean off the rust, then some teflon washers/spacers to help things go smoother.

• 1 month later...
Guest Nic-Rebel450CA
Do you guys have a problem with the wipers lifting off the windshield @ highway speeds?

That sounds like bad springs in the wipers. If you pull them out, you can cut off a couple of the loops and bend a loop into a new hook to hook back in place. This should increase the tension and help keep them down.

no just the wipers don't go up or down at all. :?

Yes, you can lift the wiper up to about a 90* angle to the window when washing your windows. This is the movement that is happening at high speeds if the spring tension is weak.

Wipers schmipers. Those things are there just to satisfy some minimum import regulation from 1969. These cars were never designed to be driven in the rain. Isn't that obvious by the lack of rust protection applied to the car? :wink:

Don't believe me? Look at any MG or Triumph from the early '70's. They had wipers too! :roll: