HybridZ

Any body making any progress with megasquirt/turbo setups?

Guest bastaad525

Guest bastaad525

Heheh thanks for clarifying on that 'open air' sensor... it didn't seem right to just have a sensor dangling loose or anything like that :P

sims76 - if I decide to use other sensors, say, at least the stock nissan coolant temp as you have, how hard is it to recalibrate the MS program to use it? I read the description on the MS homepage... sounds kinda tricky.

Also, did you guys use the stock nissan TPS? if so how hard was it to adapt?

Guest bastaad525

CAN the MS work with the regular zxt switch type TPS or will I have to upgrade as moby has done? The more I learn about the MS the more I want to install this in my car... with that and an N/A dizzy I have a feeling it's gonna be great.

Hey by the way where are you guys mounting your MS's? on the driver side kick panel?

Calibrating the sensors is not difficult. Just use the "EasyTherm" program on the MS website. Chill them and measure resistance. Take another resistance at room temp. And another holding a heat gun or hair dryer to them. Boiling water will work too. This method worked for me. My calibration got them to within 5 degrees of the actual temperature.

You must have a full range TPS and not the switch type. You will not believe how sensitive the driveability of your Z is to the acceleration enrichment, which is totally dependant on the TPS output.

If I turn off accel. enrichment, I get a lean pop out the intake every time

I try to accelerate.

Guest bastaad525

hmmmmm... well now it's getting a little more complicated. So I need to switch to different TB like moby has done? Or can I find compatible TPS that will work with and fit on my stock throttle body?

Moby do i have to modify anything to get the 240sx TB to fit?

Bryan,

Just go to the JY and pull a 240sx TB. Then buy a 1 inch adapter/spacer ($20) and slap it together. Ideally you will need to port out the inlet of the manifold to take advantage of the 60mm TB, and some longer bolts to make up for the extra inch adaper. that's it, i believe.

Tim

Guest bastaad525

Is a joystick port the same thing as a serial port? just wondering because I have some adapters that came with some joysticks I bought for my pc... they adapt usb to 'joystick port' wondering if that would work for hooking the MS to a computer that only had USB

and about that 240sx throttle body... how hard to adapt the throttle linkage?

I've had the megasquirt built for some time now even modified with the megabaro, but was waiting for the flyback board so I would not need to run resistors inline. I am also taking apart a spare ECU I have and using the connector and a breadboard to wire between the stock harness and the DB37 connector to my megasquirt. This way I can disconnect the megasquirt and plug the stock harness right back into the stock ECU. I've just been busy with a ton of other projects and haven't finished the breadboard.

Hey Guys, I am new to the board, first post, first time caller, blah, blah, blah...

To the point, I am also setting up MegaSquirt on my '77 280Z. I have everything going my way except for the tach signal. I have been doing a little research, but no luck as of yet. So far, I have run a wire directly from the '-' of the coil to the MS and have yet to even get a blip out of the onscreen tach. The intake, coolant, and TPS sensors are working.

Also, I am running a stock rebuilt L28 with the addition of a turbo and manifold from a ZX. I have been running the car off of the stock ECU (with a little AFM tweaking) and been having decent luck. I am also running 295cc Supra injectors on a custom built 0-ring fuel rail. I just got my new Spearco IC back from the shop where I had the inlets/outlets modified so it would fit. Once I get the IC in and the MegaSquirt'n'Spark setup, I will be ready to do a little tuning and hit the 1/4 track.

I believe for the tach you will need a tach adaptor like the one msd sells. That is the last part i need to set up my new 6AL, I think the part number is 8920, someone please correct me if i am wrong. Go figure, at my work we sell msd and i can get all of thier different adaptors except that one.

Boyd,

http://www.bgsoflex.com/mstach.html

Read this carefully and follow the instructions. I may take you and evening of fiddling, but MS should correctly read your tach signal. Yes, you do trigger the MS of the (-) of the coil. You are on the right track.

If you do these modifications to the MS tach input signal successfully, your stock tachometer in your dashboard will work as it always did, and the MS will read the correct RPM. I was unsuccessful getting MS to trigger correctly. If you install an MSD 6A box like I did, your tachometer in your dashboard will not work and you will need the tach adapter that MSD sells, but MS will still function correctly.

Well, I have read the directions, websites, etc. backwards and forwards. Either something is wrong with my board or you can't simply connect to '-' off of the coil and get signal. Again, I am running stock NA ignition and dizzy off of a '77 280Z.

I have yet to get any sort of indication signal is being received in MegaTune. All of the other sensors seem to be working perfectly, including TPS, CLT, and IAT.

If anyone has suggestions, by far please send me an email or post.

Reynolds

Guest bastaad525

Boyd - sims76 did mention earlier in this thread that he had a problem getting a signal from the stock ignition too... and just switched to an MSD unit. Why not just go that route? Definately a worthwile investment either way.

I am up and running on MegaSquirt, although I definitely need to do some tuning. It looks like I was getting a short on the board somewhere, but it's working now and I am getting a tach signal.