HybridZ

Driveline movement (drag racers?)

SleeperZ

I made a steel strap attached to the cross member over the nose of my R200, accompanied with a new factory rubber mount. I put too much clearance in the strap, and the nose of the diff pounded some more clearance into it. The factory mount survived though, and now, in addition to the strap, I have stretched a 3/16" steel cable between the old limiting strap mounts, wrapped once around the bottom. There is now a nice compliant yet solid restraint on the diff nose.

Unfortunately I still have a nasty vibration under heavy torque, and I found the problem. The driveshaft is hitting my driveshaft loop. I am assuming the compliance is now coming from the transmission mounts, but the loop is really close to the shaft, about 3/8" on the top right.

I will be moving the mount for the driveshaft loop to get more clearance on the right. Questions: How much movement should be tolerated? Anyone heard of urethane tranny crossmember bushings? Tranny mount? Anyone had this issue before? This is the only stock mount that has not received my attention.

I plan to run at the strip tonight, and I think I will remove the top half of the loop - I'm hoping the driveshaft is not weakened...there is a circle worn around it, but I will not remove the bottom half of the loop. And if the shaft breaks on me, it should only beat up the tunnel, and not launch me off the track - :shock:

Guest Phil1934

When I get a little closer to done, I planned to call Indian Adventures at 1-888-RAMAIRS for a driveshaft loop mounted to a tongue inserted between the mount and tranny. It would move with the tranny, so don't know if it owuld hit, but it looks smaller than the universal loops so might be an answer. They have them for 350 & 400 autos and 4 speeds, so if T5 has similar mount, should be a bolt in.