HybridZ

240z vs 280Z for V8 conversion

Guest motohead400

Guest motohead400

I'm in the process of gathering knowledge about the 240/280 Z v8 conversion, and I'm trying to decide which car I want to go with. I'm planning on having about 375-400 rear wheel hp. I know the 280z has a stronger frame, but how well could the 240 frame handle that kind of power? If the 240 frame can't, would reinforcing it still leave it lighter than the 280z? I know the 280 has reinforced doors for better side protection as well, but I'll be putting in a roll cage, so that's no biggie to me. I'll also of course be using the R200 differential out of the 280z (X-tra 60lbs there). I've also heard the 240 is more fun to drive due to the shorter wheelbase. Finally, I know early 240's didn't have a rear sway-bar. I assume that would be something fairly easy to add? Basically I want to preserve as good a power-to-weight ratio as possible without tearing my car in half when I stick the pedal to the floor, and I want a good handling car (I drive the hell out of my cars :-) ). Any help would be much appreciated! I really don't like the idea of an extra 500lbs (325 without bumpers) with the 280z.

I think that either way, with that HP range, you will have to reinforce the chassis. So the decision will likely be based on:

Emissions regulations in your region

Availability of cars in decent shape.

Keep in mind that 240Zs are beginning to get scarse in the Yards now.

Tim

Guest motohead400

I figured I'd probably need to reinforce the frame :-(. Fortunately though, where I live (Athens, GA) amazingly has no emissions regulations! I've noticed there are less 240's than 280s I've been seeing, so I guess that really limits my options. Additionally I do want to air-condition the car, and I've heard the 280's are easiar to do that with since they have the plumbing there already, so I've been thinking a 280 would fit my needs better. The biggest concern of mine is the difference in wheelbases. Thanks for the help!

Guest Mr. Big Business

It'll be a lot easier to wire up the 240. I've see quite a few 280 owners on here looking for wiring help, and not getting much. My 240 was bad enough. If you're gonna rewire the whole thing, then it's a moot point anyway.

oh oh ya.. well if your think about a 240Z or 280ZX then go with the earlier Z's.. not that theres anything wrong with the 280ZX but the older Z's are lighter..

my 280Z without front bumper and carpet and a few other little things was like (cant remember exactly) 2500lbs.. i think a tad bit more.

mines a 76.. 77's and 78's were abit heavier i think.

mike

If I was putting a fuel injected V8 into the car, I'd use a 280z. If it was carbed, I'd start with a 240. Actually, I would probably start with the 280 either way, since it is a little stronger, and has the R200 Rear. (Assuming it's a manual)

It all depends. Is light weight the most important priority for you, or do you want a less expensive conversion? If cost was my main concern, I would go with the 280 w/ an R200. If weight was my concern, I'd go with a 240. Currently I'm having more trouble with the cost, and I suspect this is true of most conversions. I started with a 260z, so I have neither fuel injection setup nor R200 rear, and it is not quite as light as a 240.

However, I bought my Z to be a project, and so, the more I have to do, the more I am getting out of my Z. I Guess. Sure do think it'd be fun to drive it instead, though.

Acually, the '79ZX was ~50 lbs LIGHTER than the '78 Z...

thats comparing a fully loaded 78 280z with the whole nine of factory options ( z was more and more becoming more of a gt car than a sports car and this trend evolves from the 77-83 models) vs. the bare bones version of the zx, now add up the options, it wont even be close. Im a 280z fan and I remember strange facts like this. ITS NOT A FAIR COMPARISON

77-8 280 would be the heaviest, they have thick door bars and a slightly thicker frame than earlier 280z

75- I have a 11/74 280z, and it has no door bars, but the thicker frame and suspension of the later years, some came with the car, the rest i bolted in. I havent weighed it yet but I suspect that my car is actually a late 260z body with efi and r200 (stock baby!)

76-gets a little heavier, but not as heavy as the 78

Carbed or injected, I like the 280z over a 240z for a v8 swap, just make sure it has an r200 and youre pretty much set. If you go for the EFI swap, its easier in a 280z, if you go carbs, its just as easy, you just need to tear a whole lot more stuff out of the car than a 240z. How much wiring do you need to setup a carb v8, really not much.

HONESTLY with 400 true rwhp, I really doubt youll notice the difference. With an automatic, either body should be ok, with a manual trans, the 240 will need extensive frame reinforcement, the earlier ones like a 70-1 will need even more. A 280z can be made into a full frame car with two well fabbed triangular steel plates and one afternoon with the mig, die grinder, and sawzall. Either way, you would have nearly 1000lb curb weight advantage on any v8 oem equipped vehicle with either model!!!

My 75 handles ok and drives well at high speeds, with a stock suspension with some urethane in it. I have a factory rear sway bar with urethane mounts and endlinks, and a 1" bar up front, it squats a bunch, but doesnt clunk or roll very much in corners=its very solid. Once I get some shocks and springs in there, I hope to light overpasses on fire with the drifting tire smoke!!!! I also run a 240 bumper in front and ditched the crash bumpers, the rear one is in the works and will complete my Wangan midnite look

And yes, If i wanted to hook it back up again, my z would have AC too, as it is stock on most 280z models=thats right.