HybridZ

*ATTENTION* John Washington

zxjuiced

Hi John, I`m in need of a fiberglass cowl hood for a 1980 280zx. I can purchase thru Showcars ,but I`ve heard so much negitive feeback about their quality and delivery time that I`m quite leery! If you by chance read this,could you send me a reply? thank you,David

PS. I`m looking for a cowl heighth of about 2" to 3"

So, some of you want a rad looking 280ZX hood or body kit for your ZX, huh?

Here's one that you may not see at many shows, but it is a complete kit still for sale in the market. This car is running a fresh V8 underneath. Photo taken by Vincent Hudson. More info at ZPARTS.COM in the Tomahawk Showcase section.

Enjoy,

Sleek Z

jc280zx_intro_lg.jpg

I forgot to mention that this kit, with slight variations, has been made for both the non 2+2, 280ZX and early generation, 300ZX models.

The interesting news is that when I went up to see the designer several weeks ago, he showed me some new design variations that he is adding to the 300ZX based kit that also may be incorporated into the 280ZX kit.

1. The hood has been enlarged on the sides to have outer edges of hood opening to but up against the inner fender bulge where it meets the hood and the hood has been elongated forward. Both changes now offer a more dramatic visual effect to the front end and better access to engine bay compartment with V8 swapper needs strongly in mind.

2. The front, lower mouth area has a replaceable lower section to allow owners to economically repair their kits if low front section gets damaged on impact with a speed bump (:>) or curb. I saw the replacement piece. It is extremely well crafted and solid. Not some flimsy, cheap quality replacement piece.

3. More exciting, visually, are the 2 new external body, behind the seats, tear drop racing bulges, ala the old Jaguar D Type racers of long ago. I have detail photos of a dusty prototype in black gel coat that I may publish soon in my Tomahawk Showcase section so potential kit buyers can better appreciate the design change coming. Stay tuned.

Below is an example of the current 300ZX based kit design owned by Dee Ferris of Willows, CA that I photographed at the 2002 Rio Vista HybridZ show. Not exactly your daddy's typical older generation 300ZX from the past, but ......oooohh, what a cool hot rod to cruise the streets in 2003 !

Sleek Z

30dcp_2822.jpg

Hey Sleek Z,That`s pretty cool if you want a cobra knock-off? Nothing wrong with that if thats want you like! So back to my original question? Where can I get a fiberglass cowl hood or or a cowl scoop that I can mold onto a steel hood?Need to come up with something soon,My Z is heading to the paint shop in the next couple months.I think the addition of a cowl hood will finish it off rather nicely..Just no satisfied with the current hood.

That`s pretty cool if you want a cobra knock-off?

Cobra "knock off"? Dude, if you ever see a Tomahawk Z kit alongside a Cobra knock off or the real thing, you immediately will understand that a Tomahawk Z is no more a "Cobra knock off" than the Chicago Towers are a knock of 2 Campbell soup cans on a table. A Cobra kit along side a Tomahawk Z looks like a little sardine can on wheels, held together with off the shelf misc hardware with a giant boat anchor up front compared to an elegantly designed, beautifully crafted and assembled, class act, sports car with potential to run virtually any large power plant or suspension upgrade an owner desires.

OK, now back to your hood scoop quest. First place to start is with a copy of the JC Whitney catalog. See these "famous" hybridz forum "Gurus" below? That's exactly what they were working on at a BBQ ala "bench racing session" held at Dan Juday's garage last year, trying to figure out what hood scoops in the JC Whitney catalog would fit an S30 hood and how well.

http://www.zparts.com/events/dj_bbq_070602_ps/pages/dcp_4638.htm

dcp_4638.jpg

There are other sources, but none that offer anything significant over JC Whitney catalog selection other than maybe the MSA catalog (http://www.zcarparts.com). What you most likely will have to do is measure out your ZX hood, like the guys above are doing, find a decent design of cowl induction hood or scoop add-on, amongst the many that JC Whitney offers, that will meet your aesthetic requirements and then cut and trim it's base down to fit the contours of your ZX hood.

Good Luck, with your ZX hood project. Be sure to show photos later because I get a ton of requests from ZX owners these days looking for body mod options for their models because such things are so scarce in the market these days.

Sleek Z

SleekZ , SORRY IF i OFFENDED YOU, I was just a little frustrated at the time! I got this cowl hood problem going on.I won`t be satyified until I get this done.And to make matters worse,I going to paint real soon!

Back to the tomahawk Z,Would love to see one .The kit does look cool !

If your intrested in checking out myZX.Look at my personal gallary on this site.You`ll see my current hood.I`m not to crazy about how it looks!

Thanks again for your info. and for not getting too upset.

ZXjuiced: No offense taken. I was just playing with your "Cobra knock off" comment for the fun of it. If the truth be known, Tomahawk Z kits are not # 1 on my short list of favorite Z based kits, but they sure are my favorite to photograph. Very curvy and sexy through the glass, if you know what I mean.

Your ZX looks pretty good as it is. However, you might want to watched out for adding another scoop or detail 'cause the body is pretty "full up" as it is. Maybe if you started over with a new hood and just went for a cowl bulge that would be plenty? Keep at it.

Z Dreamer: Whadya mean, you ain't no "HybridZ Guru"?, 'Course ya are. The photo below proves it! Is that a Z Guru look or what?

dcp_4610.jpg

Heavy Z contacted me a couple of weeks ago about me knockin out some definitive photos of his finished car so the hybridz gang could get a closer look his hybridZ solutions, such as the Maverick? or Comet hood scoop he used. Body mods on Black cars are pretty difficult to record photographically, but Heavy Z 'il be over here soon for a half day gig and hopefully we'll have something to share soon after.

Guest jwelch

Hi Auxilary,

Thanks for the update.

I met Lone when he moved to Phx and knew he had sold the Z but last I heard he may have had a motorcycle accident.

Unless I'm thinking of another local Hybrid Zer.

Last I heard he was headed back to Cali.

Guest jwelch

Hi Auxilary,

Thanks for the update.

I met Lone when he moved to Phx and knew he had sold the Z but last I heard he may have had a motorcycle accident.

Unless I'm thinking of another local Hybrid Zer.

Last I heard he was headed back to Cali.