HybridZ

Cold air corn flakes?

Guest jjohart

Guest jjohart

Hi, I'm getting a 83 280ZX Turbo with 43K miles, and it will need an air filter. I was wondering if anyone could sound off on a K and N air filter vs. a "cold air intake", which is basically a coffee can shaped filter and a 90 degree pipe, used without the stock airbox. I found one seller of the latter who sent a picture, and it seemed like the wide open front grille area and mounting location limitations would be a sure invitation for water entering the filter, and thus the engine.

Can anyone chime in on whether that cold air filter is protected or not, and whether it is bound to be more effective than a K and N filter (I personally like the shape/design of the Datsun air box), and if so, a little or a lot? Thanks

John

Guest bastaad525

okay I'm assuming you mean just dropping in a stock replacement, oval shaped K&N filter. You would definately flow more air than stock this way but the problem lies in the air box itself, it's inlet is pretty restrictive, so you wont be letting as much air in as you could even with the K&N. I'd rather get the cone or coffee shaped filter on the 90* bend of pipe, but be sure that the filter on that setup is a K&N also, there are a lot of cheap wannabe K&N type filters out there, most of which are not as effective or well made. I've been using this type of filter setup on various z's and zx's for about 5 years now and even in the rain I've never had a problem with water coming in... dont do how ricers do though and mount the filter down low near the ground, mount the bend straight across, parallel to the ground... that puts it about 2 feet away from the ground and well clear of any water... unless you're ZX will be doubling as a boat :) As far as rain water well if a few drops get in I'm sure it's not gonna be a problem... anyways the oil on the filter itself probably keeps most water from getting too far... I wouldn't worry about it

I would be careful with this set up. I have never tried one of these on the Z or ZX, however, I bought a used 1987 Corvette a couple of years ago and the guy who had it before me had the factory air filter box cut open and a K&N filter installed. water would enter this thing even when you washed the vette! Now for anyone familier with the 87 vette the filter box is behind the slopping nose of the car. Still water would enter and collect in the filter box.

Not saying the same would happen on the Z or ZX but be careful and mindfull that such a thing may be possible. Especially since the Z has an open nose as opposed to the Vette's closed nose.

I would be careful with this set up. I have never tried one of these on the Z or ZX' date=' however, I bought a used 1987 Corvette a couple of years ago and the guy who had it before me had the factory air filter box cut open and a K&N filter installed. water would enter this thing even when you washed the vette! Now for anyone familier with the 87 vette the filter box is behind the slopping nose of the car. Still water would enter and collect in the filter box.

Not saying the same would happen on the Z or ZX but be careful and mindfull that such a thing may be possible. Especially since the Z has an open nose as opposed to the Vette's closed nose.[/quote']

Thats exactly what i did to my 89 IROC with a dremel. The air snorkel is the same i believe. If you lift up the air filters, there are passages that you can cut out that will speed up air dramatically.

You guys dont need to go with an open element air filter. I went to the junkyard and pulled an 82-83 airbox for my 79, and bought a k&n from MSA. I feel that airbox flows great for an N/A engine, IMO. Ive never had a smog referee point it out, and it looks plain stock.

jjohart, there are modifications you can do to the stock airbox to make it flow better. You can remove the plastic snorkels on the ends of the airbox. You can cut a little metal out of the sides, etc. Ill see if i can get some pics up of mine within the next few days.

I've had the 90* bend and K&N set-up since long before it became popluar to do so. I drive my ZX everyday in any type of weather. All you have to do is not be an idiot and you won't get water in the intake pipe. If your dumb enough to drive your car into water that is that deep then you deserve to hydrolock your engine. It is really just that simple. With a real K&N filter and 90* pipe you'll pick a couple of HP and some MPH.