HybridZ

odd turbo thing on Ebay

BRAD D

Guest bastaad525

A spark plug IN the TURBO??? Oh and I like this part, "This would be a definite conversation piece on any show car, since nobody would have one!!!!" yeah that and because the thing is so darn funky lookin :)

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

So it's basically a supercharger that operates independently from the engine at a constant RPM. I cant really see any need to do so because such a device would operate under the assumption that an engine needs as much air at lower RPMs as it does at higher RPMs. (which isnt the case)

Both turbos, and traditional superchargers would be more usefull as they both increase the airflow as the RPM (demand) increases. About the only actual benefit is that since this unit has it's own power source then it operates without taking horsepower from the engine.

I dont think any benefits will outway the fact that you can only run it for 30 seconds at a time. To me it just looks like someone took a turbine and corked up the exhaust :shock:

Guest bastaad525

the page does say you can still buy that fuel from a chemicals supplier only under a different name... and whatever that stuff is it sounds way more efficient than gasoline...

"The big advantage of Thermolene was its great propulsion power. The combustion was so intense that no subproducts would result besides the hot gases: no smoke, no ashes, no black deposits ... power only ! "

That turbo the guy is selling on ebay is useless....

Guest szlash280z

hmm... wonder why he didn't get any bids....

sure, I want a turbo that I can't use and that he took apart so he could take pictures of it. what a deal man!

It looks like a small aircraft APU (auxiliary power unit) used to airstart a larger turbine engine. It is essentially a small single stage centrifugal turbine engine which provides airpressure to spin up a larger turbine engine. SOLAR made thousands of these in the 60's and 70's. Not too useful for anything but doing what it was designed to do - worth about $10.

Amazing the junk you can find on Ebay :D

Cheers - Doug