HybridZ

trany interchanges?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hi all, what a great site!!

I've got a quick question that may sound stupid to the more experienced of you, but here it is. Will a Nissan rear drive trany from a 300zx bolt up to an 3.0L engine pulled from a maxima? I want to put this combo in my Datsun 510.

• 3 weeks later...

No!

300z trans will not bolt to a VQ block. A 350z will but he oil pan bolts don't line up. A 3.5L pathy trans should be the same but I didn't try that myself.

I am using a 2000 maxima motor in my Rx-7 conversion. It isn't a bolt in kind of deal. I am using a 350z 6spd trans, maxima clutch and a 2002 pathfinder starter. There are issues.

I had to mod part of the maxima oil pan and the pathy starter to get the pathy starter to fit (could use a 350z starter as well it looked like but they are more $$ and bolt on the other side of the motor, but that's another story). But the 350z trans bolted right to the VQ block. No problems.

I am planning to use a 2001 maxima flywheel and clutch. I found that the timimng ring on the maxima and the 350z are different. Long story short I had to relocate the crank sensor to near where the 350z crank sensor was (another oil pan mod). The flywheel and clutch looks like it will work but I will have to make an adapter to get the throwout bearing to contact the pressure plate at the right spot.

Some of these problems might be easier to get around by buying a 350z oil pan and putting on the maxima motor, using the 350z starter, flywheel and clutch (looks like you'll need the maxima timing ring). BUT if you have that many 350z parts then maybe use the 350z motor.

What maxima 3.0L are you talking about? If it is the VG30 they used up until about 1992 then yes it should bolt up fine. If it is a manual trans, you may need the flywheel from the ZX.

Ah, Yes, The VG30 maxima's but who would want that? They only get 153 hp aprox for most years but so most VG30 motors from a pathy.

The VQ30's in the maxima made 190hp until 2000 when it went to 222HP with the addition of the variable intake (stock). 2002 they went to a VQ35DE which made 240-250hp. That'd be a nice engine to take.

If thinking of grabing a VG maxima engine I'd take the VG engine from the earlier pathys (1990-2001 I think). Much easier to adapt as the intake and exhaust manifolds are better suited to the RWD application. But be careful and don't get an eariler pathy '88 for instance as they have throttle body injection and make pitiful HP. 140 some. But in theory the intake and injection system could be swapped.

The VG motors are also Heavier than the VQ motors. VQ30 motors from maximas are dirt cheap. That's why I went that way.

My '96 Pathfinder is 3.3L. VQ33 if I remember correctly.

Not a VQ. VG33. VQ's in pathfinders didn't start until 2001 and were 3.5 L.

See this link for more engine help

http://www.freshalloy.com/site/features/tech/engines/home.shtml

I think the 96 pathfinder still had the vg30, the frontier didn't get the 3.3 till 99, I was thinking the patherfinder got it in 98 ? no ?

sorry people this is a little off topic... what is the difference between the VG30 and the VG33, it it just stroked, like can i get a crank from a VG33 and put it in my VG30DET

sorry people this is a little off topic... what is the difference between the VG30 and the VG33, it it just stroked, like can i get a crank from a VG33 and put it in my VG30DET

I think the front of the crank may be different in the VG 3.3 vs the 3.0. If I remember right I read about a guy taking a 3.3 and 3.0 and mixing them in his pathfinder. Seems he had to remachine the front of the crank to reuse his 3.0 accesories.