HybridZ

Kind of silly question re: power and spinning the tires

Guest bastaad525

Guest bastaad525

Okay guys... a sort of silly question, to help maybe determine if my car is suffering from a lack of power for the setup I'm running. I know it's not running perfectly, but it seems to pull well, but at the same time one thing really bothers me....

I can't help but think that at 10 psi, I should be able to floor it after the car is already rolling, and break the tires loose when the boost comes on, pretty much at will in first gear (well.. at will at low low speeds anyways... obviously not if I'm already doing like 20+mph at 4500+ rpm before flooring it). Sometimes... and I dont know why it will only do it sometimes... I dont know what is different that it will or wont... when I leave a light, just a rolling, regular start from the light, and then floor it after I'm rolling, SOMEtimes when the boost comes on it will break the tires loose for a second or so. Lately I've been able to do it much less frequently. It really bugs me that I can't get it to do this all the time. Now, the guy who just helped me with my block rebuild... he swears that his turbo ZX, which was a near identical setup to mine, no I/C, running the same 10 psi on stock efi... he swore he could break them loose easily in first. He seems to think there is something seriously wrong with my car that I can't at least spin them in first. But at the same time, the car definately feels like it has power, more power than my old built up N/A motor, which made 171rwhp and 165ftlbs of torque. For what it's worth my tires are cheap, hard, low grip bargain tires... which should make them even easier to break loose. Also for what it's worth... if I try to launch the car, slipping the clutch, not letting the revs get below 3000, the car will build boost quick and I can break the tires free easily and get them spinning real good this way. I get the fastest launches and spin the tires much more slipping the clutch than dumping it at say 3-3.5k

So anyways... I'm posting this because I'd really like to get some point of reference... from any of you guys that have ever run a similiar setup, stock EFI, no I/C, and 10 psi of boost... how easy/hard was it to get your car to break them loose from a rolling start? Does the fact that it's so hard for me to do mean there is something wrong with my car/setup?

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

Your suspension setup is going to come into play a lot when it comes to rolling starts. Even going 5 mph and flooring it is completely different than launching it from a stop. If your car hooks up and goes then I would consider that a good thing. If you just want it to break loose easily then stiffen up your suspension, and drop the front end at least .5" lower than the rear to put a slight rake on it. That will help keep the weight from transferring as much and make the tires break loose easily.

Not sure why you would want that, but that would be how to go about it.

Guest bastaad525

heheh yeah I know... a whole forum of guys looking for ways to get more grip outta their cars, and I'm trying to find ways to get less. Actually I'm not really... trust me if I had the money I'd have some big fat sticky tires on my car right now... and of course then I would not expect or want to be able to break them loose easily... but that's the problem... I dont have big fat sticky tires... I have el cheapo crap no grip tires... and I just feel that with 10psi, and a good estimate (I think) of how much power the engine should be putting down, and a good clutch, and definately a stiff suspension (eibach pro kit springs and tokico shocks) that I should be able to break the tires loose easily... and I'm just wondering if that is reasonable with my current setup, or if not being able to do is an indication that the engine is not running as strong as it should be. With the setup I have... I'd be happier if I could consistenly break them loose easily... just as a sign of the amount of power the motor is making now. It's just really impressive to me to be able to do that, and no car I've owned or driven before would ever do it.

Guest bastaad525

I have no doubt of that... but damn doing the exhaust right on these things is just f'ing expensive. I'm just about done with this round of mods before I call it quits for a while... tired of pouring $$$ into it and always having it worked on, I want to DRIVE it for a while and enjoy my life, NOT being broke for a while too! The exhaust is just done in the regular typical muffler shop way... all the bends are press/crush bent... so I know it is a very restrictive exhaust. And it's only 2.5"... even worse... lately I can't find any places that do 3" exhaust AT ALL or they will but they have to order the pipe and charge way too much. So I went 2.5"... trust me I hate having it that way but there's just nothing I can do about it right now. The next couple mods I want to do are some way of controlling fuel (probably just an RRFPR for now, soon I want to go megasquirt though) and timing retard under boost, and to put in the intercooler that Tim240z sold me. After shopping around and talking to my friend I think I can have all this done (not the Megasquirt though) for about $400... after that I'm done for a while. I dont know for sure how much it would cost total to completely redo the exhaust, but I know a few guys on here are selling mandrel bent dp's for around $300, and I figure at least another $200-300 most likely more, to do the rest... that's just too much $$$ for me right now.

But, more than thinking about the things I want to do to my car... I'm more just wondering what should my car be able to do, the way it is now.

I think with your setup you would be more prone to burning rubber on the low end. With a jpipe and 10psi, with your press bent exhaust, you are making a whole lot of low end hp and torque, and with no intercooler to pressurize, it should hit pretty hard, and when I ran my car with no intercooler and 10psi, breaking tires loose was an everyday occurance :D Now I save it for the offramps..

Guest szlash280z

If you hit the clutch and rev the engine higher then pop the clutch while you are still moving you should spin the tires. I spin mine going into 2nd a lot, a little chirp anyway, my NA didn't do it though.

Guest szlash280z

yeah, maybe you have found some kind of super special deal in those tires as they provide better than Z rated grip for a very cheap cost! that would be cool!

When i had some goodyear 185's on my car i could spin the tires all i wanted in first and second, rolling stop ect. in the rain it would break them rolling in third at 40 or so. This was on old crappy tires. When i switched to dunlop FM901 225's the change was amazing. Pretty much only spin in first, some in second if im on it really hard. Get some good tires, you will not regret it.

ps. i thought it was fun to spin my tires from a rolling start too, but not only is it slow but it wastes tires. I found that out really quick.

-Austin

Guest bastaad525

see this is what I mean... this tells me that my motor is definatley not putting out the power that it should be, for my setup. Guess my friend was right. And no I dont think it's that I got lucky and got some good tires for cheap :) when I had my n/a motor I could never launch well because of these crappy tires... even if I dumped the clutch as low as 2000 rpm, the tires would just spin all the way thru first gear. I could never get them to spin from a rolling start though... so at least the turbo still has the advantage there. I'm gonna go mess with my ignition timing today... see if bumping it around makes it any easier to spin them

Guest ZmeFly

and then i finally got it fixed and it was running decent again but still had a lot of fuel in the cylinder and it was bucking a bit except at 3k plus rpms, i decided to let it piss me off and romp the hell out of it.

i got wheel in first, second and third. hehe come to find out all i had to do to make the car really go super hard was to let it piss me off :lol: