HybridZ

350 turbo engine specs; Desktop dyno anyone?

Guest Speaker

Guest Speaker

I'm curious and pricing out a TT setup for the 350.

There are 3 things that I can do for EFI

1) weld injector bungs into the intake, fabricate or pick up fuel rails, use 45lb/hr injectors, and use a carb replacement tube for a throttle body... and use a SDS system for fuel management and timing

2) Use a fuel injection manifold that I found; and use either a carb replacement throttle body; or the same tube with a big normal throttle body on top of it and a SDS to control everything

3) Use a full EFI conversion from a normal retail company

Comments? Number 2 looks the easiest to do without spending a lot of money. Not sure how expensive the various retail kits are.

The setup would be a low boost, and most likely non-intercooled setup.

How much power would be created from twin T04Bs with a low exhaust A/R, like a .58 or something... and 7psi of boost on a nitrous/supercharger cam, with a 8.5:1 or 9:1 compression ratio with an adequate intake manifold/head combo (like edlebrock performer rpm for example)

looking for a ballpark figure...

What turned me onto this idea is me wanting not to spend TOO much money on a high revving N/A motor; and the fact that 350s are much more abundant than 400s.

Is 600-650hp doable?

Guest Anonymous

I've been researching this quite a bit, and from a computer standpoint, I must say I'm not sure SDS or a aftermarket computer is a cheap way of doing it. If you can survive with no knock sensor (I'm going to use one when the time comes, even a false trigger is worth it if the motor doesn't get launched, at least to me) the Haltech E6GM uses a pretty much unmolested GM harness and runs about 700 bucks. It'll handle boost and the laptop software allows instant tuning. I think the SDS to do the job will cost at least 900.00 if I'm not mistaken.

That said, I think I'll be using a stock computer from a LT1 using LT1-edit software to tune and probably some sort of system later when I go turbo to fire a few extra injectors when needed even if its a simple boost pressure switch to fire the extra injectors.

Just an opinion of course, the aftermarket computers are great, and SDS is a viable alternative, I wish it had a computer interface though instead of just the keypad entry, but I guess thats why they call it Simple Digitial System. Good luck with it.

Regards,

Lone

Guest Fast Frog

Speaker:

I've been running with Accel's DFI setup since my V8 conversion 6 yrs ago. The Accel tech who installed the sys gave me a Calmap(Accel tunning software)HP/injector sizing DOS based program disc. This program pretty closely determines HP & inj size based upon 10-12 varibles that you supply. Engine size, RPM, Vol Eff, BSFC, etc. It also has several entries relating to lbs of boost and intercooler temp and efficiency.

I ran your 350sbc setup with 7 lbs of boost @6000 rpm with a 9 to 1 cr @50degrees ambient temp with no intercooler. I gave your setup an 85% VE and a BSFC rating of .50. The HP was 490 and inj size was 37lbs(85% duty cycle@6000rpm). I ran these same parameters on Dyno 2000 and it gave me 502HP @ 6000rpm.

Then I ran your 350 setup with 12 lbs of boost with an intercooler@75% eff. Everything else the same. The result was 655HP @6000rpm needing 50lb inj for an 85% high end duty cycle. Dyno 2000 spit out 648Hp @ the same rpm. It would take a rather healthy engine setup using higher than pump premium octane gas to run your 650HP monster. Or you could drop the cr 8-8.5 to 1. Please note that these software simulations are meant to be planning aides not gospel. There are many other variables that could effect your actual HP output.

Just my 2 cents worth. smile.gif

Rick

Guest Anonymous

Hey Rick, thanks for posting that, that helps me determine injector size as well for what I have planned later. Appreciated.

Regards,

Lone

I haven't had a chance to read all of the links Grumpyvette has in his message yet (THANKS), but I seem to recall in all my readings (Hugh MacInnes, I think) that a single plane manifold will work better than a dual plane.

If you were gonna do the modify route rather than the - dare I say it - Stealth - I believe I'd use a single plane.

Just my .02

Guest Speaker

yeah, grumpyvette is da **** as far as information goes; i have specifically looked for all of his posts and read them because they are so informative

but I think the current setup goes as follows:

Dart Pro1 heads

JE pistons 7.8:1 compression

6" forged rods of some sort

stock crank; or scat 9000 series

normal flat rockers and decent valve springs

Victor Jr intake manifold

Crane cams 224/234 @ .050" w/ .480/.500-something lift(i think)

special turbo carb for blow-through

twin T3s (to go cheapy, then twin T04s later)

bonnet for blow-through system

decently built motor and about 15psi of boost when intercooled... hopefully 500rwhp on the T3s... and a whole lot more on the T04s (thats later though)

Originally posted by Fast Frog:

This program pretty closely determines HP & inj size based upon 10-12 varibles that you supply. Engine size, RPM, Vol Eff, BSFC, etc. It also has several entries relating to lbs of boost and intercooler temp and efficiency.

Programs like this seem a little non-sequitur to me. You can only estimate VE until you finish tuning the engine. If you've used a dyno to tune the engine, you already know how much power it's making. If you use the strip to tune your engine, you have your trap speed and vehicle weight which give a pretty good horsepower estimate.

Without a fuel flow sensor, BSFC is totally a best guess.

Anyway, how big is this program? Could you post it somewhere for download?