HybridZ

I turned up the boost!

Guest szlash280z

Guest szlash280z

after getting my boost controller to work, I turned up the boost! I had it set perfectly the first time, so now I am running 8-9psi! It's much better now.

I don't know what detonation sounds like, and I have a whole bunch of things that rattle on my car when I accellerate, like my 3" exhaust hitting something on the car (bad install), so I don't know if I am pinging or detonating or not. I hope not, because it would suck to be doing it at only 8PSI.

I GET ZERO TRACTION now! Its still wet outside, so I will have to see how it does when it dries up.

Guest szlash280z

is it loud? will I hear it more from the engine bay than the exhaust? I hear most of my crap from my exhaust. I have zero clearance between the pipe and the car in some spots, and under accel the pipe moves a lot! I can see it even when reving the engine while it's parked and neutral looking under the car.

Also, the turbo sounds much louder at 8-9ish PSI, I used to be able to hear the turbo really well when I just had the downpipe, but not as much with the 3" pipe put on there. But now it screams when it gets to the set boost level. I don't think it's a "something is wrong" type of whine, more like a "spinning a sh*t load faster than usual" whine. Do all of yours do that too? I am thinking it is normal, but just wanna make sure.

my turbo used to make a high pitched whine when I had a leak out of the dp flange, fixed that quick, because when the flapper would open up, it would make a sound like pinging. Pinging isnt as audible on these cars I dont think, big exhaust, a turbocharger, fans, whatever, makes it hard to hear. Sounds like a spray can shaking in your car, whenever I start getting into boost hard, gotta turn off the radio.

When I had no Ic, the initial hit of the boost was a lot more dramatic, and with the leak it sounded great, without the leak, its all pressurizing sound only, which sounds awesome in the car with an intercooler, you can hear em fillin up with boost.

Guest bastaad525

dude... when I had my high compression N/A motor, before I got all the kinks worked out that thing would detonate a LOT. But, when I would call people, mechanics I knew or whatever, and describe to them what I was hearing...

"it sounds like... uh... popcorn popping, only higher pitched, or like marbles rattling around violently"

"where's it coming from?"

"sounds like it's coming from my exhaust"

"that's a bad muffler then"

so I drove the car like that for a few months thinking it was exhaust noise... but then I took it to a dyno to tune it and for the first time got to hear the sound from OUTSIDE the car... man the dyno shop guys almost had a heart attack when they heard it, it was so bad... they were amazed that the car survived (not only did it survive, but 2 years later still got great compression and looked brand new when I pulled the head off to replace a bent valve). But still, everyone insisted to me that when you hear detonation you can hear that it's in front of you, from the engine... well I say, if you hear a sound like popcorn popping coming from your exhaust.... :wink:

Guest szlash280z

my sound is more of a vibration clanking sound and its not like popcorn thanfully. My pipe actually touches the differential mount, I guess when they were installing the muffler it moved the whole pipe and we didn't notice it. I am going to take it back soon and have them fix it.

I think I may have a leak under boost, my vacuum caps are getting cracked pretty bad from all the heat. This may be why it sounds louder too.