HybridZ

Turn key 280Z intercooler kit?/Intercoolers for dummies?

Guest jjohart

Guest jjohart

I am really getting sick and tired of trying to decide on various bits and pieces for a intercooler upgrade. I see that Zmotorsport has a supposedly complete kit for 2 grand, and of course, they are too money hungry to offer just a dial a boost, they have to have you add a computer, too, not to mention overpriced blow off valves and such that a consumer is being suckered into buying at exhorbitant cost what should be individual parts sold much cheaper elsewhere.

So, can anyone post a SIMPLE list of the BEST-your choice, but say why-brands and models/sizes (Be specific!):

1. Intercooler-what brand/size fits (at least for my 280ZX TURBO, ok?)

Let's assume the average persons goal (see the Turbo Guide here) is not MORE than 300bhp, so as not to ruin heads, etc...isn't there a median guideline for height, depth and width, being that the massive NPRs are made for boost heads (like 16+psi, etc)!

2. Blow off valve-this is really blowing me away...I hear all kindsa noise about the ricer vs "serious" blow off valves, or more inflexibly, those who prefer computer control. Let's assume the computer is offline, so as to keep the system as simple as possible...who makes/made it best?

Then, part B, if upgrading to computer control, who would do likewise?

3. What of tubing..is it best to have someone assemble it, or go with the kits from Motorsport, Ultimate Z and others?

4. What injectors are best for reasonable boost of fuel supply? I've heard of Bosch, Ford (SVO) 370psi?

5. What kind of mods are required/reasonable in so far as fuel/engine management..is it really safer to use a "upgraded chip/board" or do things work out as well with a air/fuel computer?

It would be great if someone had some SIMPLE answers, b/c all the intercooler "kit" sellers are loathe to disclose simple facts, like what model/size of intercooler they are selling. On the other hand, seems like most of the smartest folks in racing/upgrading work don't have the time to really build a customer a reasonable (say less than 4 grand) intercooler and upgrades without a lot of expert power techno-speak (like telling you they'll custom fabricate parts...seldom the most efficient or cheapest option, IMHO).

Check out the link under my sig. There's pics of the NPR IC installed on my 280zxt and has info on the IC size, as well as other things that might help you out visualy.

Don't waste your money on "bolt on" IC kits...as you know, they are very expensive. Hell, I got my NPR IC new for around $300.00.

i'll relate what im using for my setup, i do have a 260zt though but should be the same:

1.) NPR intercoler (medium size) plenty for your goal, maybe overkill like you said. I went ahead with the NPR because i know i will be upgrading in the future as far as the turbo goes :twisted:

2.)Im useing a Vortec BOV. but it's made to vent to the atmosphere. ANY BOV will work descent and you will find you will pay dearly for a very high quality BOV. You will need a recirculating type BOV, aka bypass valve, if you are running the stock system. Ive heard about people using mitsubishi units here.

3.)Depends on how much $$$ you want to spend. I made all my piping out of 2.5' mandrel bends. I bought several 180's and cut them up and welded them to make all the bends. You could save some cash by cutting and fitting them yourself and taking them to a shop to have them welded. Its a very easy process. BTW i suggest 2.25" piping

4.)Im running The SVO 370cc injectors. They work great, and are easy to modify to work with your barbed fuel rail, they are cheap too! i bought mine off ebay to thet tune of about 50 bucks. They can also be made to work with the stock EFI system, i believe but not certain here.

5.)WOLF technologies is the place to go for a plug and play aftermarket ECU. i would give them a call and talk with them. I think they run in the range of 450 or so.

4K !!!! You can do alot with that kind of cash. As far as the I/C/Plumbing/Injectors/engine managment heres a run down of how much mine costs. Given i did all the work:

NPR I/C: $200 -- junkyard

I/C Plumbing

pipes -- $100

BOV -- $120

Silicon Connectors and clamps -- ~ $100

SVO injectors -- $50

Fuel rail -- $100

Fuel Pump -- $100

Shoot you could throw my engine managment in there too (SDS): -- $1850

Hope this helps

-Austin

Guest bastaad525

I can chime in on the subject of blowoff valve, at least. If you want to save some money and have one that looks decent and works great, get the BOV that came stock on 1st gen mitsubishi eclipses. You can pick them up from ebay for average $50-75 or can hunt one down at a junkyard for probably around $10-20. I know a couple guys on this board including myself who use one and it works good and sounds good if you leave it open to atmosphere.

If you dont want to shell out for a nicer BOV, the eclipse one works, or a bosch unit that doesnt require a flange works well too as a recirculating unit.

HKS SSQV is the best one I think for open atmosphere venting on a afm system, it vents fast and closes faster, I havent had a bad experience with it yet, and I drive my car 400miles a week.

Intercoolers: any of these will do 300hp well

944 turbo ic looks like a good one

Supra TT is an excellent unit, its small but 2.5 in and out, and its been run up to and probably more than 400rwhp from supra owners, so you know its at least decent. If I were to do it again, I would probably do this one over the NPR and the 944, it also takes less room away from the radiator to do its job- but my NPR looks nice and rice.

NPR, good intercoolers, any of them, good fins and great looking end tanks.

Easy ecu-JWT

Injectors, none unless you go JWT or standalone. I wouldnt go with svo just because I dont like using old injectors, and I dont like cutting injectors. If you were going with the Jwt I would do 450sel injectors, 420cc or so, 300 is cakewalk with these, and MORE. If you can find them for 50 dollars and want to use them, thats your preference.

For the couplers and plumbing, you will spend at least 125 for it if you do it right, with silicone hose connectors and good clamps.

Search the threads in this forum with your goals in mind. All the answers for your questions I guarantee are here. If your goals are a modest 300hp (crank?), you don't need any fuel system upgrades except perhaps a pump. Stock turbo, and a modest intercooler, maybe a bigger exhaust.

two cons for Mercedse SEL injectors, i researched them well before deciding on SVO:

1.) Price. Pretty much have to buy them new and that will cost a pretty penny, i think when i checked they were between 200-300 bucks (rebuilt ones too)

2.) On top of buying the injector you must buy new connectors and attach them into your wiring harness.

on the SVO injectoers you are only cutting the plastic off the top. The metal actually has a barb on it for the hose and a nissan clamp fits perfect. Fast easy, and they plug right in!

Course if you were SERIOUS you would buy an o-ring fuel rail....

-Austin