HybridZ

Clutch Master Cylinder Failure?

BayAreaZT

I started having clutch problems last week. Basically it is not fully disengaging and I have a hard time putting it in first. First I thought it was the hot weather cause thats when it started acting up. The MC is close to the turbo too. I replaced my MC and slave in march when I put in my ACT clutch so I bled the fluid and put in the synthetic fluid. Didn't help. After inspecting the MC I found that fluid was leaking down the inside of the firewall.

What would cause the MC to fail prematurely? I don't want to keep replacing master cylinders. BTW my firewall flexes when I press down the clutch pedel.

Dale,

It could be that the flexing of the firewall is making the pushrod push off center into the master, which would cause a wear pattern on one side of the cylinder, then it will eventually leak.

I noticed that flexing on my old 240, so when prepping the engine bay on my LT1Z, I welded all around the reinforcement plate that is spot welded on the enginebay side of the firewall in teh brake/clutch/steering area. The spot welds didn't seem to give it much rigidity. Don't know if welding it up solved it, but i will see if any paint starts to crack there when the car is on the road.

Tim

Dale, I started having the same problem on my car recently. I'd push in the pedal and it wouldn't fully disengage the clutch. I checked for leaking fluid and found none. Turned out to be I hadn't tightened the jam nut on the adjustment shaft that goes from the pedal into the master cylinder. The threaded shaft was slowly backing off, becoming shorter. Once I readjusted the length and TIGHTENED THE NUT, everything was fine.

Mike Mileski

Tucson, AZ

Mike, I just noticed the same thing today at lunch. The nut was all the way loose. Makes sense cause I did notice I was getting more freeplay on the clutch pedal than before. I didn't get a chance to readjust the length cause the rod that has the cottor pin seemed to be stuck. I'll try and readjust it after work. I'm sure that will fix it.

The leak I had on the inside of the firewall was minor. I tighten the MC bolts and that seemed to go away.