HybridZ

raising shock towers

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

Just sitting here staring at the shock towers of my Z (in my mind) and wondering how hard it would be to cut the tops off and fab in a spacer riser to lift the top an inch or two higher. This would increase suspension travel (or lower car without losing travel) and improve ride quality.

Any fellow ponderers :?::?

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA
Lots of rally cars do that' date=' so the idea at least is good, but how far can you go before you hit the hood? Not too far, I think.

Jon[/quote']

Probably not far in the front, but the rear is where my car seems that it could use more movement. The front end feels ok over the bumps, but the rear end is a spine cruncher.

Sectioning the struts would be WAY easier IMO, and you'd get the same effect. The rally cars do it for more travel without really raising the ride height and cg too much, IIRC, so the car doesn't look and drive like its on stilts. If you aren't looking for 9" of travel, then you can section the struts, run the struts closer to the top of the travel, and have more bump travel available.

If you aren't hitting the bumpstops then I don't suggest you do any of this. Maybe switch to a softer spring or different strut cartridge. I don't know what your spring rates are, but not everyone wants to drive around in a Z with 300 lb springs and Illuminas on 5.

Jon