HybridZ

Check this intercooler i just got

Guest joeyhammer

Guest joeyhammer

ok i jumped on this bid because i saw it with only 20 minutes or so left and i got it for 20 bucks.. i think its from an isuzu.. not bad right? its gonna go in my 240 turbo swap jsut so i can raise my boost over 9.. also do i have to have a blow off valve?or can i jsut use a grainger type buust adjuster and the stock wastegate and pop off valve modified? if not whats a good cheap bov. thanks guys

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&category=33742&item=2435418121

Guest joeyhammer

damn that sucsk.. i thought it was from a supra.. its got 2 1/4 inlets so it may flow well.. not sure yet.. ill try it but i wont have my hopes up

Joey - You would be wasting puting that tiny IC on your L6. That IC was designed for a 1.6L engine rated at 160hp. So it is drastically undersized for any L6 engine. I would put it back on eBay don't eve waste your time welding two cores together.

Here is an intercooler comparison off my site for your future reference. I am running the Isuzu NPR (Truck) IC, which is sized perfectly for a the Z. Sorry for the bad news but hope this helps:

From my site:

On the left is the top mount IC off an AE92 chassis Japanese Spec Supercharged 4AGZE LevinCorolla. This intercooler came with my 4AGZE engine that currently resides in my AE86. It is compact and after some research and conversations with various people it will support 12psi of boost or around 175hp. The problem with it is heat soak being a top mount unit especially on a hot July day when the temperatures outside are flirting with the 100F (30+C) mark. On the right is the big brother of the 4AGZE, its off a 1986.5-1992 Toyota Supra MA70 chassis and 7MGTE engine. This intercooler is a front mount unit from the factory and will support a solid 300hp. It's design is very similar to the the AE92 in the way the tanks and fins are designed, except this a non-cross flow unit. I paid $50 for this unit and it is the one in my AE86. I figure my AE86 will never see 300hp so it is plenty big unit for my supercharged 4 cylinder application, the bang for the buck factor is huge.

13821250.jpg

On the left is an Isuzu NPR intercooler off an an Isuzu Delivery truck. I believe its the smaller of two NPR versions available. It is cross flow unit and has beautiful designed end tanks and also a decently thick core size, it looks very similar to those high dollar brand name units which retail for more than $500. This unit will be going into my Datsun 280ZX Turbo very soon. For comparison you can see the 1986-1992 Supra Turbo intercooler next to it. The Supra IC can easily support 300hp, then the Isuzu unit should be good for quite a bit more, the Isuzu unit is quite large when compared to the Supra IC, and will fit nicely in the nose of my 280ZX Turbo.

13821244.jpg

People keep telling me how great the Starion Intercoolers are - it seems like they are the "choice unit when an upgrade is required" or intercooling a non-intercooled car. So I had to go out and get one, I happened to get this excellent condition one inexpensively and you can see it next to the Supra turbo unit. The Starion is actually thicker and has much better end tank design and is cross flow, but overall the core is quite a bit smaller than the Supra intercooler - I was shocked, incidently both have the same 2" outletsinlets. Well I guess for those on a budget the Starion is definately a worthy upgrade and it is probably more available. Still it is an excllent factory intercooler and for an '80s car - light years ahead of most car manufacturers.

13821236.jpg

Here is the Supra IC that I refinished at home with painstaking love to mount in my supercharged RWD Corolla (now sadly sold!):

13821231.jpg

Regards - Yasin

I was lucky enough to get my hands on one of these IC´s

http://speedfreak.nu/modules.php?set_albumName=albuo04&id=aaf&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

It is suposed to sit in a SAAB Scania bus (twice as high original, had to cut it down and modify it sligthly.)

I had to modify the frame rails and the underside of the bonnet to make it fit. Under it, between the rails, sits an oilcooler from the same busmodel.

Running approx. 11 psi and flooring it doesnt make the outgoing airtemp noticebly higher than ambivalent air.

And there is very little turbolag, partly due to twinturbo setup (Garrett GT17´s).

Sadly, a broken Haltech made me have to put it back in the garage before I could sort allthing out, but next summer I´m aiming at 15 psi and a shoot of NOS.

Hope to be able to put up more pics and info in the near future.

Just have to translate the info to english, as I take it most of you don´t speak swedish :roll:

I do have a picture of my custombuilt (by me) stainless header and the twin turbos.

http://speedfreak.nu/modules.php?set_albumName=albuo04&id=aab&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php