HybridZ

Truck Engines and Calif Smog

Guest RunninOnEmpty

Guest RunninOnEmpty

Couldn't find anything on this either from "search" ot the Calif Smog Website.

In Calif. engine swaps must be of the same year or newer than the vehicle, and must be of the same type, i.e. no truck engines in passenger vehicles. Ok, but does Calif. consider SUVs or even light pick ups to have truck engines, or are they excluding just medium and heavy duty truck engines?

If so, would the swap be in compliance if the truck block is similar to a passenger block, e.g., SBC, provided it incorporated all the smog equiptment mandated on the passenger vehicle and emissions were in spec?

Depending on the year of the block. The Regs say that it HAS to be from the same class of vehicle. The Feds put SUVs and compact trucks in the "Truck" category. The referees do realise that SBC blocks are generally the same, but they will look at the heads, and emissions control equipment. On later years, the truck and car engines are vastly different, so that won't work. Best bet would be to call (or better yet, drop by in person) and talk to the ref. Let him know what you want to do and see what he says. These guys are generally VERY sharp and really know their stuff.

Tim

Guest RunninOnEmpty

Thanks guys, I'll definitely check with a ref before I buy the block. I'm realizing getting a ZX was a huge mistake. I should've gotten an early Z, No smog hassels, a much better vehicle as far as weight and handling, plus well documented engine swaps.

John

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

The bureau of automotive repair is also a good source to contact for that info. I hope that helps cuz it took me a couple minutes to figure out how to spell bureau :oops: