HybridZ

rimquest- the impossible

hey guys...

think i found the rims i want. i'm waiting for the company to respond regardin the sizes i want... either they'd have to be made custom or i'm changing my mind and going even bigger :twisted: if i had a clue how to post a pic i woould but allow me to confess that i'm a computer moron. :bonk:

http://www.performancewheeloutlet.com/catalog4/merchant.ihtml?id=3&step=2

here's a link... they're the 270 motorsport r's. thanks for all the help and ideas, but i decided to go on my own with this one. look for this thread again if it doesn't work out!!!!

bob

i'm going with reaction research yz rear quarters, which add 3 inches to the width per side. figuring that my car right now has 175-width rims piled in the corner (about a 4 or 5 width? help me out) the extra 4 or 5 inches of rim plus a little bit of spacer should bring out a 9-10 inch rim to where i'd want them to be. as for performance wheel outlet... their ad (after a little looking through) said that since they're the manufacurer, it is possible to do custom sizing. however, i e-mailed them and haven't heard anything yet. so.... as much as i wasn't thinking about running 18's, i might end up with them... although that big of a rim might look pretty mean under those wide fenders! to those with the really wide kits like the one i'm considering- what kind of setups are you running? ......bob

Guest Looking for apt in Alb Ny

I was always under the impression that wheels were hard to get for the Z's After reading this topic what has been the big deal that I have been hearing. Is it cause you cant simply order rims from tire rack lol? I guess its because those who want to run wider rims and have it tucked inside the fender right? Those are the hard rims to get? They can only be used with coilovers?

Peronally I want to run flares. I love the look. 16 by 10 is good enough for me. Is there an advantage of spacing your rear wheel base 4 inches?What would be the back spacing. stock at 4" right. In some ways I am answering my own questions but I just want to clear this up with myself and state what I know. thanks Juan

juan,

our cars have a nightmare combination of offset and bolt pattern. what we're left with as choices are limited.... most have been around forever and work for 90% of z's but if you want to go for a different look life gets difficult. the really nice maufacturers who will make your rims to fit, well, you get what you pay for and in those cases it's alot. so your only alternative is some kind of bolt pattern conversion which is why the geniuses that make custom hubs and wheel adapters are revered in our little world. :cheers: . basically, it breaks down to... the easy way has been on z's for years, the next easiest costs you a mint, or you can improvise but to put a rim on your car requires buying more than just the rims. let's face it.... the market is geared mostly toward fron-wheel drive cars and when do you see a ten-inch rim on one of those? the whole thing isn't easy, especially if you want something really different, but at least there are alternatives......bob

Guest Z-rific

I probably spent 10 hours researching wheel sizes, availability, cost, etc. Sure, there are companies that will custom make wheels for your particular need. They cost big $$$.

I ended up with wheels from Centerline, which were known to fit Z cars with flares. Ron (I think) from there knows Z cars more so than most people that work at major wheel companies.

I have flares that add about 2" in front and 3" in back. I have 15x8's all the way around, with 225's on front and 265's on back. The rims have 3.5" backspace, which help them fill out the flares nicely.

Even Centerline is starting to stop making wheels in Z car sizes. Just no market for them.

Do a lot of research on this forum and make as educated choice as you can.

what i would give to be in a position to spring for a set of budniks, billet specialties, jesse james.... but with my list of parts to buy i have to think along the lines of cutting a corner here and there. so i had to set max limits for certain areas which each and every one of will probably be vastly exceeded :bonk: .... but otherwise i'll be saving for parts until kingdom come and never get to know what the car drives like!!!!!

zguy, (but aren't we all?)...

yeah man, that guide might kind of help :D ! it seems like 90% of the wheel dealers on the web have issues with posting offsets and the like. and since i haven't heard back on those motorsport r's,, as nice as they are i might still be looking. damn good thing i have the mechanical aspect to deal with first!