HybridZ

Roll Cages - s30 vs s130 - 280z vs 280zx

Guest 81na ZX

Guest 81na ZX

I'm looking for cages for my 81. There aren't too many local builders (if any :? ) and the close ones don't do good work. So I'm looking at the cheaper option :D

However I can't find any 280zx specific cages :( BUT autopower's cage says it fits 240z-280z & 280zx's. So I'm wondering if anyone knows if a cage for a s30 fits a s130 with minimal modifications?

I have a quick roll-cage question. Assuming that they don't have to meet some racing association's specs and you just want some roll-over protection can't you just buy some piping and fab one up? I am planning on putting one in my street-use-only car and was planning on just making it myself. Is some special considerations to take note of or something?

Guest uberhahn

do a quick web search for autopower. you should come up with a few places to order Z bars for. I'm sure some of the locals on this site can recommend other places without the $$$.

You could also email the local SCCA chapter (go to http://www.detroit-scca.org/) and ask them of the places the members have gone to for certified work. If you don't really need SCCA spec, then your options could open up even more.

Good luck.

Nice to know Zs live in MI. I'll be moving back to the A^2 area myself with my 240 in the next few weeks.

Guest 81na ZX

Oh ya, this says Ann Arbor, doesn;t it :oops: I know theres local fabbers in metro detroit, but the problem is I've moved up to the middle of michigan where there isn't much ;)

I forgot about MSA :roll: duh. But, their cage is SCCA/IMSA legal (like Autopower's), and if you look at the page, its for 70-83s... So either that answers my question, or puts me back at square 1 ;) Then on the other hand, Jegs has a NHRA/IHRA legal cage for s30s

BTW - I know there are 2 more ZX's in Ann Arbor. And ironically, I bought this one 5 miles east of Green Bay :D

Assuming that they don't have to meet some racing association's specs and you just want some roll-over protection can't you just buy some piping and fab one up?

Well... since you're installing a roll bar for safety why wouldn't you want to build it to the specs specified by the largest and oldest racing association in the US? A poorly deisgned roll bar is much worse then no bar at all. A customer of mine did just what you suggested and I was able to "remove" the roll bar from his car with a 5 lb sledge hammer. In an accident all that tubing would have come loose and banged around inside the car. I figure I saved the guys life with my little sledgehammer.

That would probably be due to poor construction and installation. I am fairly confident I can fab up a simple roll cage simply using the pictures I have collected and copying the design by eye. My basic question is are there some specific concerns to take note of if you are just looking for roll over protection. I want to build as less intrusive roll bar as possible. Some racing associations require side bars etc. I was thinking a simple 4 or 6 point setup.