HybridZ

Just bought my first Z

Guest ProfessorRog

Guest ProfessorRog

I'm planning on swapping out the engine in my 1978 280z and right now im leaning towards a 350. I've never swapped an engine, Is there anything i should be wary of or prepare for?

You should buy a JTR manual ASAP. That will give you the general idea of what is involved and what to look for. The search function on this site is an excellent tool to look up specific answers to your specific questions.

Good luck on the swap--the 280Z will make an excellent V8 car that you will love. smile.gif

Davy

Guest ProfessorRog

yeah i started searching the forums and found alot of information, im also planning on gettin the jtr manual, it may be a bit before i can fully tackle this project but its something i definitely want to do

Congratulations on your Z! I think you will find that this site will be one of your new best friends! :D You can search the archives and find almost anything pertaining to the swap. As for which engine to use, that is up to you but I would recommend the SBC.

1. I used to be a ford man. I have build several high performance 302s and 351s. I think that fords are great. Only problem is you will spend a lot more money to get the same performance.

2. The SBC conversion is documented out the wazzo! You will have a LOT more help with the chevy!

JMHO

Guest ProfessorRog

Im having trouble making up my mind, I'm 19 so the smarter thing for me to do would be to go with less punch and better gas mileage but I'd like to have something big enough stock so i dont have to modify it too much to get a good 300 hp to the wheels in the future when i might be less inclined to mash it to the floor whenever possible. :rolleyes:

I'm aiming to make a daily driver with enough zip to blow past stickered up imports. I'm probably not gonna take it to the strip but Id really like to shut my friend up about how fast his stock 96 prelude is (sidenote smile.gif ).

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what engine/tranny configuration would best suit me?

I'm considering a 327 with a WC T5.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thx

Hey, I'm 19 too!(until next month anyway) But I am going to a more radical set up. I just bought a LT1 and T56 out of a 93 camero Z28. I really wanted the LS1 but those things are way over priced. frown.gif I am getting it next week sometime and I cant wait till this winter when I will be putting it in rockon.gif !!!

Guest Anonymous

Personally I wouldn't touch a 78 in California especially as your first swap. 78 will require smog and referee stations and all sorts of additional red tape. I'd find a 73 back that is exempt (for now :rolleyes: ) to do a swap if that is what you want to do, you might also consider a 73 and back that has a later 280zx turbo motor, add intercooler a bit more boost and I think you'd have lots of fun without spending a fortune in a swap. Just an opinion.

Regards,

Lone

Guest Anonymous

Hey whats up, congrats on the Z! I am 23 and have been working on my V8Z since I was 18!!! so its no small project to undertake.

I bought my Z already prepared for the V8 from a local guy for $900, (unfortunatly it was NOT a JTR conversion) so im left guessing at alot of stuff still to this day.

It all depends on what you want... Daily Driver or all out race car.. if you want an LS1 with all the goods, your spending serious cash.. their is no way around that... a new Corvette block is not cheap.to a 19 yr old $2500 is no chump change.. so my guess is you want the bang, and the buck. I would go with an older SBC and run a carb.

Your probally thinkin, "eww I dont want no automatic...."too. but they are really easy to install and trust me... with the 3.90 rear

gears from a 83ZX your going to have the power to burn through every gear on a TH350 transmission.

impressive, and inexpensive..

Eventually I think I will probally drop in a TPI block, but for now im pushing around 275 hp and its solid.

The only problem im running into (and I assume every Z hacker has hit this) is keeping the rear differential in place... the SBC torque slams it around bad!! and stock mounting equipment is pretty much a joke.. you will notice (along with every true hybrider) that additional power comes at a cost... and that cost is on your vehical, the torque the SBC produces is far beyond the Z's normal.. and requires some stiffening work to get it "right".

if you want my oppinion, I would start first with replacing all rubber bushings in the car with Energy Suspension poly, and working with solid stuff.. dont "jimmy rig" it... do it right from the start, and your headaches will go away in the future...

a 4-row radiator is a MUST!! And I would go with a "always on" hefty electric fan for cooling. Cut out your hoodlatch, install hood pins and run an HEI distributor. that is a must..

if you dont wanna cut out your hoodlatch, and you have the JTR - Set-back engine layout, your going to run into clearence for the HEI... if this is too much hassel or you dont want to cut anything out, check out the "Petronix Ignitor II" search for it, if your running points, this little sucker is awesome.

Live your V8Z fantasy the right way, and you will have a car that will make the preludes look dumb as they push their 140lbs ft/torque to the limit. LOL

flux0r

Guest ProfessorRog

well the engine needs a valve job and one of the cylinders' compression is down to 45, so im gonna need to either rebuild or replace it and the tranny is definitely gone, im gonna try to post pictures of what came out on the transmission plug, (not pretty) :eek:

The interior needs to be redone and the exterior could probably make it with a nice paint job but right now im focusing on the powertrain and I'd like to do this right from the beginning. I could probably getaway with a valve job and a new transmission, but it seems that this 350 conversion is doable, and I figured as long as im gonna redo the entire car i might as well put in something with a bit of kick. smile.gif

By the way, this site is great, this is about the only site i really get into on the internet reading old posts and drooling over what my car may eventually compare with in a number of years, Ill try to keep ya guys posted on what happens with my project

Pretty much anything you put in will smoke a stock Prelude. Take the JTR advice and start with a complete swap (including smog equipment) from a donor car.

Just wanted to emphasis that one of your first prioirties to "do it right" will be improved brakes.