HybridZ

Need convertable Z pics

Guest Drewz

I have searched the Hybridz album for a couple of nice rear deck shots of convert. Z's but need some more detailed ones. Search function has been used as well to death. I am cutting in 2 weeks and need to be sure of the final cut distance from the windsheild top to the actual cut line. It looks to be 2 inches but need clarification. i have made a temp. brace to install front to back to be sure the car doesn't spring in case the frame isn't good enough. Any pics are helpful even if tehy are of Vello Rossa's or other kits, Tomahawk's too????

There was a build-up article in Kit Car magazine (might have been Kit Car Illustrated magazine) on the Origin Z Car convertible Kit. The article describes using the lower layer of steel as a guide for cutting the top layer. From underneath the roof (with the headliner removed), use a punch or pick to dimple through the outer skin along the edge of the lower layer.

Of course this was cut to fit a pre-fabbed fiberglass header cover, if you are planning to finish the header in steel, like Scott Bruning's Z Therapy design, then you might stick with an external measurement, uniform from the edge of the glass. You could use a 2,3, or 4 rows of 1" masking tape, for example to create a nice stright line to follow as you cut.

Good luck

My Velo Rossa install manual says the cut behind the windshield is done using the 'doubler' as the guide. The 'doubler' is the second level/layer of metal inside the car right behind the windshield.

I just cut mine last week. It seems like it was a little more than two inches, though. I'll take some pictures and post tonight.

I built a 74 260Z Convertible. This conversion was done similar to the Z Therapy conversion. The rear hatch was shortened and layed down to form the trunk. This is an all-metal/ body filler conversion. The chassis is reinforced with 1”x2” tube stock under the floor pan. There is additional bracing behind the seats that ties into the tube under the floor. There does not seem to be any flexing of the chassis but torsionally I need to add a X brace under the car. I used 2" for the windshield cut and also slotted the top of the windshield and bent it down and welded it to the windshield framework to form a flat surface. The top of the hatch was tied into the rear strut towers to eliminate flexing.

I hope this helps

My frame was toasted when I got it so it has heavier floor pans and full frame railsdone a couple years ago. The frame is made of 14 gauge channel fully welded, not spot welded, as well as a low profile internal frame rail that mirrors the external one and was boxed at the rear. As far as a Z being ugly as a convert. ...... well that is your opinion and duelly noted. I am thinking about a soft top but prefer to just have a lift off hardtop like what is now avail. for the Tomahawk's, TR6 style. I am making the rear deck out of a sheet of fiberglass I had made up and gel coated for me here. I am thinking about trying to fab a hard top out of the remaining steel roof left from the cut off sections. I would then later get a price on a fiberglass copy being made by a local shop that has given me some of their insights. They like doing odd and unique things and would like a long term proj. for the winter months....Thanks for the pics thus far guys. It all helps!!! :!::!::!::!:

...need to be sure of the final cut distance from the windsheild top to the actual cut line. It looks to be 2 inches but need clarification...

Drewz -

I got out and took some pictures tonight. Here are some shots of the cuts made on my car. Hope these help.

Top frame from inside showing doubler.

another cut shot

shot from the front left

3 inches from windshield edge

fiberglass header cap in place.

Guest mjyikes

I have a few pictures of my convertible z to post but don't know how to add a picture.

But if you look at my profile, you should be able to see them.

Wagz, Thanks for that perfest set of photos to answer my question. That is what I needed man!!!!!! :2thumbs:

Mj, did you actually use those 90's cutlass supreme headlights or is that photoshopped?? That is what I am doing to a T.....Great minds think alike. I have the filled fender extensions, ZG flares(in the mail), and headlight assemblies, and now the convert. Real swank ride Mj!!! :hail:

I am nervous about doing this but what the he*l, you only die once.......right??? hehehe :cheers:

Guest mjyikes

Thanks Drewz,

Ya, I spent a lot of time, like we all have, trying to make my own z-

statement. The headlights are not 90's cutlass headlights although

I did consider them. I took the easy way out and used driving lights

with mounting brackets and wiring already attached. Probably not street legal, but haven't had a problem yet, knock on wood. I was real nervous

about making the first cut too, but the excitement of seeing your Z

transformed so quickly from an hour of cutting will make you forget

all of that. This one is my eighth and last convertible and hopefully they kept getting better. I used a Mazda miata windshield frame and welded

it right to the z, and it fit beautifully and I could rake it back a little. I

never really liked the curve of the Z windshield when I cut the roof off.

Good luck and if you have any other questions, feel free to email me.

Michael

Guest mjyikes

Hey Drewz,

When I cut the top, I cut it like wagz pictures show, but left a little more material on the top and slotted it every inch and bent it down at a right angle and welded it to the lower pieces of metal. It worked well if you are

not using a fiberglass cap, which I didn't know if one was made back in

1985 when I made my first convertible. Just another option.

Sweet!!! Thanks for that tidbit about the extra metal being left to rework. I am talking to John Washington right now about his hardtop as a possible option.

MJ -

That Miata windshield and frame offers a great look. The rounded upper corners look better on a convert than the Z windshield's square corners -IMO.

When you changed the rake of the A-pillar, did you have to change the shape of the side windows also?

Thanks

mj - I just gotta say... beautiful job, man! :2thumbs: I love the lines. That Miata windshield frame works beautifully. Are you running a convertible top? I'm curious about the fit of the side windows agaist the windshield frame too.