HybridZ

how hard is a 350 to get in the datsun engine bay?

Guest 2002sentraSER

It depends on the model year you are converting. The older the Z the more information you can find on how to do the conversion. The ZX models are much more difficult and require a lot more fabrication. A lot will depend on your time, experience and ability (and money).

I have an 83ZX that is being worked on by a fabricator that has had a lot of experience with the older Z's (before 1979) but has had numerous problems with the ZX. It has been in fabrication for a year and is about 50% complete.

Fortunately, the guys that post to this forum have done it all and can advise you every step of the way.

Dan H

Tons of room, it drops right in if you follow the book on an older 240Z. I did it over a Winter in my spare time including suspension and whatnot. Still need to do a little more to convert to CVs but just have had NO time of late. :(

Originally posted by Mike Mileski:

Datsun should have come up with the idea of doing it 30 years ago themselves :-)

they did. they tested prototypes for a 3 rotor wankel 240z, and a factory v8 Z. then the gas crisis hit in the 70s and they suspended testing of wankel and 8 banger motors

Guest Anonymous

Its pretty much as hard as dropping the stock one back in. Only difference is you'll drill 8 holes in the floorboard if you use the JTR method. Depending on the transmission, you may need to slightly tweak the firewall around the bellhousing to gain a bit of clearance.

The T56 tranny I used caused another problem, that being its very long and the crossmember is to wide. There were two options, one elegant and one not so, I went with the later and pulled out the 3lb sledge to move things a bit, you can cut it down as well and had I had access to a welder with more amperage I would have done it that way.

Good luck with it,

Lone

Guest 2002sentraSER

mikes what size engine is that it looks small it looks like you could fit a way bigger engine in the maybe a big block

sentra do a search on the web for zz4 lots of stuff out their. 355HP@5250 RPM 405 FT LBS OF TORQUE @3500 RPM $3600.00.

HEY DAVE & PETE THANKS

PETE DID YOU WORK OUT THE PROBLEM WITH THE SNUBBER YET?

MikeS