HybridZ

BMW 3.5L straight six 240Z

Hello, I'm new to this forum. I sent the message to Boobala, but I'm interested in thoughts on the 3.5 L straight six, trans, diff, etc. from my 85 635 Csi swapped into my 1970 240Z. I did lower the 3.5 from my 735 into the bare Z and it seems a fine fit. I did a nice 350 bhp 327 swap back in 1973, but missed the character of the six. Any ideas?

Jim

Guest Zachb55

so is it an auto or manual? i would prefere a manny, if so where did the shifter line up? how, depending on the mounting situation, do you think the engine would sit in there? think you could get it all the way back to the firewall?

-zach

The oil pan has a flat front which aligns perfectly over the crossmember, athe angled drop in the pan slipped perfectly behind the steering knuckle and the engine seems to come in farther back than the L series, so the weight would be slightly farther back into the mid-section of the car.

When I tried the 735 engine I didn't have the trans on it, but the 635 is a 5-spd manual. I haven't done the actual measurements, but it seems like a very comfortable length for the driver. I don't think the weight could be more than the sb V8 I did many years ago.

It looks very "do-able," actually it's just waiting to happen. I would use the diff and wheel size of the BMW drivetrain to keep the speedo as close as possible, and have the advantage to the taller wheels/tire setup.

Guest Zachb55

well definately keep us updated on what you do, right now im open to any kind of swap and am actually looking for something a little different. dont be afraid to be a pioneer! i would love to see some pics of what you do so make sure you put up a site or post them in your member gallery so we can see how the engine sits in there. so do you think the shifter would line up well with the stock Z shifter hole? also, how do the tranny and engine mounts line up with the Z's?

Bump...

Alternativez2003 have you made any progress with your BMW engine install?

Im going down at the end of the week to look at and measure some BMW engines. Im looking into newer model engines, but may go with an older m series if cost dictates. Whats the HP rating on yours?

-Austin

I have been driving my brothers 535i. I think the BMW motor would make a 240 fly, while still having that straight six sound. The 3.5 has some serious torque compared to the L6. I assume the extra size has the most to do with that. Not sure what the bore/stroke is but it revs pretty good too. I hope someone does this swap. :-D

• 10 months later...

Well, I haven't made any progress on the 3.5 into the Z as I am still remodeling my house. There is only so much you can do (or afford) at a time. Actually, my 635 has ben down with a very curious "no start" problem. Believe me, I've one through everything, and I don't know what is is yet, ad don't have a lot of time to mess with it right now. It could be any combination of things. The good thing is, I've studied and learned a lot about the electronics and identified a lot of electrical system concepts to transfer to the Z.

The thing is, I haven't been able to find out if anyone has ever come up with a different intake that comes in from the driver's side rather than the not so attractive over the cam cover original intake of the 3.5. I would like to use an available maf system from the left side to better fit under the hood and to be more efficient than the oe air flow meter. Also, I would like to consider bore/stroke options to increase from a 3.5 to a 4.0 liter engine, partly for the increased hp, but partly for the idea of a true 2-4-0 designation like bmw might use. I'm silly there I know, but the car should be able to hang with "real" bimmers when I get done with it. Since it is a 1970, I would keep the C pillar 240 emblem, but paint the bmw blue and white roundel inside the emblem. Only a few people would recognize the concept, Datsun outside, bmw inside, the best of both worlds, so to speak.

Well anyway, obviously I had a little time to kill, but I just thought I would check in and see if anyone is still on this thread.

Later, Jim

• 4 years later...