HybridZ

MegaSquirt/MegaSquirt'nSpark upgraded software version

mobythevan

I've been out on a hunting trip the last week. Just got back into work today and rechecked all of the forums and the MSS v3.0 is now released. I have been waiting for this software upgrade because it should allow me to use MegaSquirt'nSpark on my L28et and use the 83 dizzy. This upgrade can use a single rising edge trigger now and does time based calculations for cranking start up. The tough part with MSS was having to provide the goofy trigger for cranking. The upgrade also provides two outputs that can be programmed to control various things from fast idle(which was dropped from MS to provide the ignition output), shift light, electric fan, boost control, etc. Hopefully I'll have MSS v3.0 up and running in a few weeks.

Here is the email from the forum:

Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 10:31:44 +0200

From: "Magnus Bjelk - The Renault 16 Site" <magnus@r16site.com>

Subject: MegaSquirtNSpark v3.0 release/beta test

Hi all!

Finally MSS v3.0 is here.

New features:

-Flyback modifications, fuel calculations, etc from MegaSquirt 3.0/2.987

EXCEPT odd-fire

-Earlier triggers up to 135 deg BTDC, regardless of cylinder number

-Inductive trigger support (timebased cranking timing)

-Invert output option for easier connection to GM HEI etc.

-Revlimits, soft (retard) and hard (fuel cut)

-Programmable outputs (X4 & X5)

Bug fixes

-Instable rpm indication at higher revs

NOTE: MSS v3.0 requires a MegaTuneSS v3.0 so remember to download the new

configurator also.

Updated instructions will be uploaded soon, but I guess you're all anxious

to test it.

/Magnus

I've been too busy tuning my z31 ecu so I never even noticed when this came out. I'll have to read up on it. If I get you correctly we can now use our dizzy because we don't need the PITA sensor setup with the voltage going high 5* before max advance and going low 5* before tdc???? Has Magnus incorporated dwell control?? That would be the ticket. I guess it's not that hard to get a GM HEI module in there for dwell control. I'll race you to see who can get the M'S'S up first. :wink:

Bernard

Hey guys, if you are racing, you have competition. I've got MegaSquirt only running and my friend and I are working on Squirt'n'Spark as we speak.

Interesting enough though, we are attempting to use the stock '77 dizzy and utilize HEI modules to pickup and return signal. No luck yet though.

I'll be out of town this coming week, but I will post up what we find!

EDIT: Oh yeah, my friend is already running Squirt'n'Spark on his turbo Volvo, so we have a little bit of a competitive edge! (Although the beer may be dulling it a bit :roll: )

Isn't Ultramegasquirt coming out soon?

UMS should be out sometime the end of this year. I am hoping to use it on my V8 z car next year, assuming I ever finish the L28ET car.

I'll race you to see who can get the M'S'S up first.

Man, I just wish I could find more time to work on the car. I have everything setting in my garage, but can't seem to free up enough time to work on it. I am not sure if the signal directly from the turbo dizzy will trigger the MSS, but you are right, no more of the low 5 BTDC stuff. The signal from the dizzy may not have enough amplitude or pulse width to trigger MSS, but if that is the case an op amp circuit will fix that or you can use the GM HEI module to trigger the MSS. When I get it running I'll give a diagram or post with instructions.

Me and Kenny are trying to get it working with a 7-pin HEI. We are getting signal out of the HEI, but MSS is not picking it up for some reason. The MSS middle LED is staying solid red. I will be back home soon to check it out.

Lets see if I can confuse this some more. One way to hook things up is to just use MS as a fuel computer like it was intended. In this scenario you just need a tach type of trigger for the MS. So you might have an MSD unit doing your ignition and you can just take the tach signal from it to trigger MS.

In the other case you want to run MSS and have it control ignition. In this case you need a trigger for MSS that comes from some sort of pickup(variable reluctor like GM dizzies, a hall effect dizzy, an optical dizzy, etc). The variable reluctor cannot trigger MSS directly, because the pulse out of it varies too much(at low rpm it is less than a volt, at high rpm it is more than 50 volts according to the MS manual). A hall effect or optical pickup can trigger MSS directly. So the easiest way to make the variable reluctor work(if your stuck with that type of pickup) is to use a 4 pin HEI module which condtions the variable reluctor signal so that it can be used to trigger MSS. However you get it triggered is one thing, then you have an output signal that controls your igntion module, this could be hooked to an MSD or a gm HEI module to drive the coil. So in one paticular case if you have a variable reluctor pickup in your dizzy you may want to use a 4 pin HEI module to condition the trigger signal to MSS and then another 4 pin HEI module on the output of MSS to drive your coil.

I haven't looked at the 83 turbo dizzy yet to see if it is a variable reluctor, hall effect or optical pickup. I think I remember reading months ago that is was variable reluctor.

I haven't looked at the 83 turbo dizzy yet to see if it is a variable reluctor, hall effect or optical pickup. I think I remember reading months ago that is was variable reluctor.

It's an optical pickup with a 0-5 square wave. Not sure on the duration but I have scope pix of it. So you're saying I can trigger the mss directly with that signal? My need for the gm hei module is solely for dwell control. I think we can fire the coil directly, no need for the transistor. At least that's my understanding. How can we get the signal from the mss thru the hei module and fire the coil? That's the 64k question.

If it is optical then it should trigger the MSS fine, we'll see.

Is this what you are looking for on how to hook up the HEI module?

http://f3.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/4P2WPxmz8w8C8dzMQMgUP1-fNN3HPJ92WTei_152KFvxp000YWKA4sjbxXYG6Dj0E3ie6ieH-K9XtcjWKB6m78PEc_zJCP5aCw/MegaSpark%20HEI%20Block%20Diagram.bmp

The diagram is for MegaSpark, but the same idea applies. I believe Magnus left an option to invert signals to use the HEI module easier.