HybridZ

PHUCK!

Guest szlash280z

Guest szlash280z

Man, I blew up my turbocharger today. I wasn't even running high boost, just 8PSI. I didn't even notice until someone said I was smoking when I passed them. Good thing it's a fresh rebuilt and still under warranty!

After I found out about the smoke I listened very very hard to the engine while driving it around and I could hear a SLIGHT rattle when accelerating, and it smoked pretty bad under decel. I figured it had to be the turbo, so I took off the intake and found lots of oil in there. I don't have any pcv system so the only way oil could get into my intake is thru the turbo oil bearing section. that compressor blade had a *$&%load of axial play! More play than it did when I sent it out to get rebuilt!

I will update if I have any warranty problems with the company that did the rebuild.

If you don`t have a pcv system, Do you have some other sort of crankcase vent? IF NOT, You could be pressurizing the crankcase and forcing oil past the seals in the turbo.

If this is the case, the problem should be addressed asap before it starts blowing out other seals. (ie, rear main, front cover)

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

Hey, if you can talk them into keeping the blown one, I'll give you a few bucks for it. I'd love another turbo to play with to make a turbine. :twisted:

Guest szlash280z

it's the turbo itself, the rattle was the blade hitting the housing I believe. It moves a LOT, and I could make it clank when checking it. I don't know exactly what the cause was, but it needs fixing.

the crank isn't plugged, it's completely open, and it's not hooked to the intake so nothing gets sucked out of it or forced into it or prevents any pressure from escaping.

The only cause I can think of is a poor rebuild, as this turbo has less than 1000 miles on it and I wasn't running high boost. Maybe it wasn't balanced properly or something.