HybridZ

350 TPI aluminum head years

Guest Jeff Rimmer

Guest Jeff Rimmer

I'm looking around for what year camaro / firebird had the 350TPI setup with aluminum heads. I know what years the Camaro / firebird had the 350 TPI, but am still unclear after searching, what years had the aluminum heads.

Can anyone help me out? I've already been lurking through Fbody.com

A side note, In case anyone remembers me, I have been away for some time from the forums (And they have changed nicely!!!), scrapped my LT1 plan as all I had was the short block and rather than source all the remaining components necessary I have found it more economical to seek out a scrapped Camaro/firebird as they are more than plentiful in my area. In the mean time I have revived the inline 6 and am meanwhile currently enjoying my 92 240sx.

I'm looking around for what year camaro / firebird had the 350TPI setup with aluminum heads. I know what years the Camaro / firebird had the 350 TPI' date=' but am still unclear after searching, what years had the aluminum heads.

Can anyone help me out? I've already been lurking through Fbody.com

A side note, In case anyone remembers me, I have been away for some time from the forums (And they have changed nicely!!!), scrapped my LT1 plan as all I had was the short block and rather than source all the remaining components necessary I have found it more economical to seek out a scrapped Camaro/firebird as they are more than plentiful in my area. In the mean time I have revived the inline 6 and am meanwhile currently enjoying my 92 240sx.[/quote']

I could be wrong, but the post 87 L98 engines from camaros/birds all had iron heads. The aluminum L98 heads where only available on the vettes. There's nothing wrong with Iron L98 heads though. They can be made to flow some great numbers as seen here. If you can't see the article, then just register. thirdgen.org has gobs of information.

Phyte

Iwas told the alum L98 heads i bought were from an '88 vette. '88-'91 vettes had alum heads and some '86-'87 vette convertables had alum, all others iron (so i'm told). Oe thing i thought interesting is that the intakes center holes line up with my '86 TPI unit. I've red the alum heads kept the older (pre '87) bolt angles. Newer intakes would just need the center holes elongated to bolt up.

The iron heads must flow pretty good. i went from iron heads, ram horn manifolds, stock rockers to alum heads, block huggers, and 1.6 full rollers and only shaved 3 tenths off the quarter. Of course, i may see the full benefit if/when i upgrade to a 350 (just 305 right now).

Bodywork this winter, maybe 355 or 383 next winter.

take care

just some EXTREMELY IMPORTANT INFO

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/techinfo/heads1.html

http://www.geocities.com/z28esser/headcomp.html

http://www.dw1977.cz28.com/photo2.html

the CHEVY aluminum and iron L98 cylinder heads while better than average are EVEN INFERIOR to the vortec heads in stock form.

youll be FAR FAR BETTER OFF buying a good set of aftermarket cylinder heads like the TRICKFLOW,AFR,CANFIELD,PRO-1 or similar cylinder heads, I can tell you with no hint of error that your engine will produce better power if you invest in the better aftermarket heads rather than the corvette heads,because even after extensive port work they will not equal the potential airflow and will cost more after the necessary port work

its hard to find any other single part that will limit your potential hp as much as the WRONG CYLINDER HEADS FOR THE APPLICATION,or matching the WRONG CAM to the CYLINDER HEADS

If you can do the port work yourself there's nothing wrong with the L98 heads. I bought a pair that was already ported with larger valves for $250. These are the iron heads. Here's what I should flow with all the work thats been done on them

.1 82.5 52.5

.2 145.6 111.8

.3 212.9 150.1

.4 245.4 178.6

.5 269.2 190.9

.6 270.6 195.2

As you can see these heads CAN flow extremely well. If you buy a virgin set of heads, and have someone port them then I agree with grumpyvette. It will cost just as much to have that done as a new set of aftermarket heads that will flow well.

Phyte

Like Phyte said, the aluminum heads were only available on the vettes. If you are buying a complete engine, the LT1 would still be the way to go, they are easy to find, and the prices are good compared to TPI, plus they are newer engines. Just my 2....hey, anyone notice there's no cent sign?

Like Phyte said, the aluminum heads were only available on the vettes. If you are buying a complete engine, the LT1 would still be the way to go, they are easy to find, and the prices are good compared to TPI, plus they are newer engines. Just my 2....hey, anyone notice there's no cent sign?

¢

:D

Phyte

Here's what I should flow with all the work thats been done on them

.1 82.5 52.5

.2 145.6 111.8

.3 212.9 150.1

.4 245.4 178.6

.5 269.2 190.9

.6 270.6 195.2

How can you guess at what your flow numbers "should" be?

Guy

I'm estimating based on that article I linked above.

Phyte

Guest Jeff Rimmer

Well initially I was going the LT1 route, but as mentioned I only have the short block with approx 140,000 kms on it. I had thought of scrapping this idea as I still had to obtain the heads intake etc as well as all associated electronics and wiring harness.

I will have to weigh the pros and cons of both once again. LT1 engines are not plentiful in my area, but then again neither are L98 vettes.

Hi Jeff,

I live kind of close to you in north of T.O. Just a suggestion, I think you should go with the LT1 route. Just more possibilities for the future. I know where you can have one for you pretty cheap, complete with auto trans and ecu ... That comes from a clssic caprice.

Just send me a pm, and we will see about that.

maybe I'll have a new buddy to work on cars with !!! :D

Dayz