HybridZ

Adjustable control arms . What parts are needed to build?

Guest Looking for apt in Alb Ny

I'd like to get a line of aluminum control arms going. I would like some for myself and can pass on the work to others here.

Here is a link I was at. http://www.colemanracing.com/prodex/cat.htp?cat=ROD%20ENDS If someone would be kind enough to give me a tour so I can accumilate some parts I can tinker with this over the winter. If you know little on this subject like I do join me and lets learn together.I would like to get my suspension done right the first time thanks Juan

I did a search and didnt find exactly what I was looking for.

Well Ross at http://www.modern-motorsports.com is supposed to be taking over mikelly's suspension line. I think it may still be viewable at http://www.zfracing.com I really wanted Mike's suspension setup but he stopped producing them before I could save up enough $$$ If you need any parts for experimentation I have a whole suspension from a 280z available. I dont know if aluminum would be the best material for these or not but It would be cool if it offred a small weight reduction although I dont think it would be alot. Lets get the creative juices flowing and hear more from everyone.

Sorry Juan, missed your reply on the other thread. Count me in for a set. I have 280 and 300zx front brakes, any sugestions for a temporary set up? Aloha Chris

Juan, are you planning a cast aluminum suspension setup, or are you going to TIG everything together?

I can tell you that there is a difference between steel and aluminum control arms. I've driven early 944's with steel control arms, then immediately driven later ones with the aluminum control arms. I even went to my boss and asked what was "wrong" with the earlier car, and he explained that it was all about the rigidity of the aluminum arms. Both cars were stock, and the aluminum armed car just felt much more rigid and was much quieter over bumps.

I think you'd get the same rigidity out of the tubular arms that Mike makes, and aluminum might be tougher to work with.

Jon

jmortenson mike no longer makes the tubular control arms unfortunatly he has retired from that to spend time on his other job and Im sure many other reasons. Hey juan Id like to see a cad drawing of what you are thinking of here. Im sure some others would to when you get around to it.

J

I can tell you that there is a difference between steel and aluminum control arms. I've driven early 944's with steel control arms' date=' then immediately driven later ones with the aluminum control arms. I even went to my boss and asked what was "wrong" with the earlier car, and he explained that it was all about the rigidity of the aluminum arms. Both cars were stock, and the aluminum armed car just felt much more rigid and was much quieter over bumps.

Jon[/quote']

I'm sure that had more to do with the design, not whether they were aluminum or steel. Aluminum is basically 1/3 as stiff as steel, so you need 3 times more of it. Unless it's a structural stability issue, which is a whole 'nuther kettle of fish.

I'm no metallurgist, but I had always heard the exact opposite. Aluminum is more brittle, so you need a thicker piece of it to withstand stress, but it is stiffer thickness for thickness than steel.

The design of the control arms was basically the same, but one was stamped steel and one was cast aluminum, most of the 944's I worked on were stock, including these two, eliminating the possibility that bushings were the difference. The two types of control arms are interchangeable, so there is not a significant design difference other than what was necessary to change the material used in the arms.

I forgot to make my comment on Mike's control arms past tense. The point is that I think his arms are probably way more rigid than the stock arms, and that the aluminum would be tough enough to work with that metal might be a better option.

Jon

I'd expect to see some adjustable control arms available to the public before christmas. ;) Don't ask me how I know this.

While aluminum would be my choice for a race car, I would suggest a steel setup for the street. Honestly, the weight savings isn't worth it in anything but an all out track car. It's also much easier to design for an infinite fatigue life with steel, easier to work with, and less prone to failure from manufacturing defects. (and the parts will be cheaper in the end)

I'm not going to say any more, because I don't want to divulge any secrets. ;) Patient young grasshoppers. :D

This is way off into the future from now. I have stuff up to the neck that I am currently working on. I just wanted a parts list to work with. I cant come up with a cad design until I know what I am looking at. I have done my suspension before and know what it looks like and how it functions for stock.

I can do the control arms billet aluminum. I know its best to have them tubular for strength and lightweight. I wasn't planning on doing any kind of welding unless it is absolutely needed. I am not a welder. Aluminum is far cheaper than steel. When I say cheaper I don't say I am cheap and avoid the proper needed structure for suspension. Just saying this to someone who posted about it being more expensive.

This can be down very affordably as a piece kit. I mean what If I did the machining and had someone else assemble them. That way I am not over my head with work and assembling. I do work a 40 job besides this :-D:shock: If anyone has a parts list of what is needed to get something together so I can monkey around that would be cool.

What about a double wishbone suspension. Is that anybetter?

Lets kick it up a notch. Maybe transplant a :puke: Honda civic (i like hondas)design over the to the Z with needed hardware. If we have to go through the trouble of getting these control arms built, go an extra step and redesign the Z! Juan

i was looking at my girls honda the other day wondering how i could modify to a double wishbone, I decided against it. But i was thinking about adapting a single coil-over shock that mounts with fisheyes to the control arm.

I have a toy gas car and was looking at the suspension on it... then i was looking at pegasus racing catalog and saw the fisheye mounts for 5bucks each... ideas just started flowing.