HybridZ

T-5 rebuild using a WCT5 kit

Guest joeyv8280z

Guest joeyv8280z

I was looking to rebuild my T-5 trans. Reading this site has given more possibilities ie, other transmissions for one. I was going to buy a used or rebuilt WCT5 instead of rebuilding my T-5, until someone told me to look into rebuilding my T-5 using the WCT5 kit instead. I have a 1978 280z , with a '84 camaro T-5 trans.

Is it possible to use the WCT5 kit in a t-5? What are the pro's /cons of doing this? Has anyone tried this, how did it work?

thanks,

joe

p.s. I looked on the past messages and could not find the answer to this one, so sorry if this is redundant

You can probably use some of the parts, but as a whole this cannot be done. The speed gears run on needle bearings instead of bushings, it uses paper cone synchronizers instead of brass blocker rings and has tapered roller bearings on the countershaft instead of standard roller bearings. I'm not sure if the case is different because of the bearings. Same with the mainshaft, but the gears are different because of the synchronizer and bearings.

The Motorsport WCT5 is $1200 from SUmmit, and a Mcleod adapter scattershield can be had for about $300 more. But that puts you close to the Tremekc converion tranny price. $ for $ your best bet is a used GM trans with the WC kit and the gearzone.net cluster gear stabilizer.