HybridZ

ATTN: awd92gsx, Apexi questions for you

Guest bastaad525

Guest bastaad525

Okay the more I think about it the more I think that that Apex Super AFC would be the perfect, budget upgrade for me that would give me some flexibility with my '82 ECCS system. You seem to be the only person that had any success (maybe the only person who tried, even) to get one working on a 1st gen EFI Z. I was hoping I could get some info from you on exactly what type of modifications would need to be done or how difficult it would be for me (me being an average, not too technically inclined Joe) to get it installed. Mostly I'm concerned about modifications... things I would have to change, cut splice, or basically just scratch my head at, to get the AFC working right. Out of every option I've checked this unit or one very similiar to it seem to be the best option, price wise, and for what I need it to do. SDS, Tek, etc. are just way out of my price range right now. It's either gonna be a piggy back ECU, or I'm just gonna go with an RRFPR.

Oh and by the way I do already have an MSD installed so no worries as far as the RPM signal.

Guest bastaad525

Yeah I know... Also I am w/o I/C so I'm really not counting on huge power gains, but at least I would feel safe running even 10psi w/o any worries of going lean... hell I would think maybe even 11-12 psi unintercooled wouldn't be a problem as long as I could supply the fuel for it. Stock injectors should hold 12psi... I would think that gets pretty close to the 250hp limit everyone says they can support, which would be fine by me. As it stands right now I dont even think I'm breaking 200hp to the wheels, at 10psi. Probably close, but not above that.

There's only one wire that needs to be cut to use the S-AFC. Everything else is just spliced into (you can use vampire clips, it's done every day with success and they even include them with the unit).

Once you figure out which wire goes where, it should actually take you less than 15-20 minutes to actually install the unit as the ECU is pretty much right there in your face on the Z.

I found a piece of paper I used when installing mine...I wrote down the wire numbers, but, make sure you double check them...for some reason I wrote down some other numbers next to them (it's been awhile)

Throttle switch full - 3

Air Flow Meter - 7

Engine Speed - 1

Power - 10

Ground - 35

The AirFlow meter needs to be cut with both ends going to the AFC...

You're going to have to look in the back of the book for the generic vehicle instructions, you won't find the wiring in the vehicle specific section.

Now...I don't know what I was doing at the time, but...next to the numbers above, I wrote down... 5,6,17,35

With all of that being said, the S-AFC can't give you more WOT fuel...you still have to get bigger injectors...what the S-AFC is really good for is allowing you to tune the bigger injectors.

Won't work, an analog tach signal. As soon as AFM reach it's max (around 3500-4000rpm) it'll go sky rocket to lean. May be there is a way to overcome that but 16:1 A/F under boost is not a safe fire to play with. (I dynoed mine like that once)

HKS can work on Z31 ECU but I can't say the same for ZXT ECU. The thing that's different about MAF and AFM is MAF goes 0-5V rather than AFM which goes 5V to 0V. There is an adjustment for both on AFC but I've not messed with one. I got a buddy who runs one on a turbo AFM MkII Supra and he got it to work. He had to get a veriable TPS signal.

Guest bastaad525

I've got the MSD 6A and the MSD Tach adapter if I need it.

I know I can't get 'extra' fuel out of the stock injectors, but if the stockers ARE good for up to 250hp, I'm assuming this is at WOT on whatever amount of boost you need to get that (what would that be like 14-15psi?), then trust me I haven't tapped the full potential of these injectors :) As I said, I doubt I'm even putting 200hp to the wheels as it stands now. So I still feel that I could use the AFC to get the maximum performance out of my injectors. And I have heard it said many times that the stock EFI will tend to run lean at the top end under 10psi (NOT a fault of the injectors as far as I've been able to tell, as people on here have found ways to get more fuel thru the stock injectors and up the boost to higher levels, usually by use of an RRFPR) so if anything I'm sure i could use the AFC to keep it from running lean like that on 10psi, and probably get a little more power by running a more 'correct' fuel ratio. I'm not expecting the AFC to up that 250hp limit though... doesn't matter because there are other parts I would need to push past that number anyways.