HybridZ

Trying to build the "ultimate" street/autocross tu

Drax240z

hmm I'm using a stock actuator with my t3/t4 hybrid. I'm unsure of the type of t4 compressor off hand though....The guys building my turbo knew my application, and we talked about performance goals and the use of the car..I trusted their expertise with turbos and Z cars...I hope I did the right thing... :?

My stock t3 came on hard at about 3k... my new turbo is much higher..3500+.. I have not changed my exhaust system yet..People have commented that it is too small (2.5 inch mandrel press bend..not crimped..but not the smooth constant dia bends...)

I just assumed it was because it was a larger turbo, and that it would just spool slower...

I have no choice but to live with it for now, but I suppose I should keep an eye on it for the future..

• 2 weeks later...

I have very similar goals for my turbo car. I would like to get as much power as I can, sure, but it's more important to me to have a fast spool-up and a very responsive throttle.

I am still not clear on what criteria to use for intercooler selection. I have tried to find some topics in this forum that cover it, but I failed. Could anyone give me some reading recommendations? I'd like to know how to determine whether or not the intercooler is too big for an application (assuming other factors are constant.) Are there drawbacks to a large intercooler as long as it is at least as efficient as a smaller option?

Also, any opinions on these? (CustomLock just picked one up.)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33742&item=2442368353#ShippingPayment

Looks like quite a good intercooler. 0.2psi drop at 15psi is great.

Basically you need to consider the cfm the intercooler will flow, and the pressure drop at a specified pressure. I would somewhat concern yourself with volume as well. The more volume of air you have between the turbo and throttle plate, the less throttle response you are going to have.

I am going to a larger intercooler, but smaller piping, to try to minimize the effects of increasing volume. (I have 2.5" and 2.25" piping, and I'm going to go with a complete 2.25" setup) Of course the smaller the pipe, the more pressure drop there will be across the piping.

Doesn't a stock turbo hit too hard when you nail the gas on the autocross? I had problem keeping the wheels from spinning with T3. stage III can goes in boost alot less agressive. More controlable IMO.

Super-S or H trim my be nice. I would not hesitate to go stage III even for an autocross car. It's about biggest I would go on a street car though.

I'm going to the larger Isuzu NPR intercooler... which is the medium sized one really.

I have found that with a little pedal modulation it doesn't hit too hard. I suppose if I flat out matted it coming out of every corner I'd be backwards in no time, but if you roll on it doesn't seem too bad. Granted, with a 3" exhaust the story might be different. Plus I am only running about 10psi right now... mostly because traction is no where to be found at anything more.