HybridZ

Upgrading my steering rack

Guest 70240z

Hey Kyle:

Could I trouble you for the measurement from ball to ball on that rack. The stock one should be close to 25 ¼â€. The Ford comes out to 23â€, just a bit too small and the Miata is 27â€â€¦ a bit too wide. The one you found here looks about as close as we’ve seen around here to stock, not to mention the mounts look perfect.

The STI is a new one to me. What year Subaru are we talking about?

…Glenn

Ball to ball get this its about 25" could actually be 25 1/4"..

The STi is a 2004 model.. I wrecked mine so we ordered a completly new rack.. However a plain WRX may be similar..

The STI also has a tighter steering ratio than standard WRX (15.0:1 vs 16.5:1) dont remember what the Z's is..

Hey Kyle:

Could I trouble you for the measurement from ball to ball on that rack. The stock one should be close to 25 ¼â€. The Ford comes out to 23â€' date=' just a bit too small and the Miata is 27â€â€¦ a bit too wide. The one you found here looks about as close as we’ve seen around here to stock, not to mention the mounts look perfect.

…Glenn[/quote']

…Glenn

Actually...for those not in the "know"...the Subaru and Nissan share a lot of parts. There are a LOT of NISSAN manufactured parts on my WRX, and many still say NISSAN right on them! My entire rear diff assy, for example, is a nissan factory part. The one I bought to replace my exploded one, said subaru all over it, but when I peeled back the brown tape Subaru labels...yep...Nissan was the actual ink on the box, complete with a Nissan part number. I believe the diff is the same as the sunny GTI-R...I have an extra...so I may see if it fits up in the Z. VLSD would be a welcome addition. :-D

-Scott

I feel bad for you that you had to 'total' the car to get the rack out. You could have just bought one new for less, huh? All for a better cause tho ;)

Unfortunately, you won't find any of the Subaru units used anywhere for many years until the JYs accumulate crashed cars. Unless you want to buy a new unit.... $ 2000 probably.

I know he said the diff was a Nissan part, but if that rack happens to be Nissan made also, then it has to be in some Nissan. It is just a matter of finding the car, and then there would be a supply of them.

Well the good news and bad news..

The rack will work but you would need to modify a few things.

1) if your using the stock motor mounts from the front crossmember you would need to probably trim a section out of the mount for it to fit.

2) You would need to either knotch or indent the crossmember for one of the powersteering lines to clear the crossmember.

3) Make new mounting brackets for the rack

4) Bend new lines for the set up

5) Get an adaptor joint for the steering colomn to the rack.

6) Get a power steering pump..

7) Adapt the Tie Rod ends from Stock setup to the new rack

I think thats about it..

DSCN3585.sized.jpg

DSCN3586.sized.jpg

Hey Kyle:

One more question…This rack functions the same as the Z rack right? Some racks reverse the gear so it can function on a front wheel drive behind the center line of the front wheels. I wouldn’t want the car to go left when I steer right. Is the WRX the same? The rest looks really good. I’m not sure we would have to notch the mount or not….looks close though.

Cheers!

Yes it functions the same as the Z..

Hey Kyle:

One more question…This rack functions the same as the Z rack right? Some racks reverse the gear so it can function on a front wheel drive behind the center line of the front wheels. I wouldn’t want the car to go left when I steer right. Is the WRX the same? The rest looks really good. I’m not sure we would have to notch the mount or not….looks close though.

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like there is a big angle on the steering shaft. You got any idea on how to mate that to the Z steering column?

It looks like the stock Z rack bushing will fit?

I'd really like some feedback on this one. I'm taking my car to the body shop later today. Hopefully the guy will figure out how to get the Mustang rack to mount under the L28 oilpan (mustaang rack is a little too high).

How would you feel about having the rack stick down lower than the crossmember? If you bottommed out on a gravel drive, you could knock the rack off......