HybridZ

Turbo question

Guest chucklaw33

Guest chucklaw33

Whats the difference in air cooled, oil cooled, and water cooled. I know the obvious, but i was looking at a oil cooled Garrett t4 turbo .60 A/R compressor housing, Turbine housing is A/R 1.32.

I have a supra intercooler on the way, is that aircooled. Im new to the turbo world. Can i use that supra intercooler with an oil cooled turbo. Will the t4 bolt up to the stock 83 manifold, or will i need to get a t3 flange. Im gonna do some searching today and learn myself about turbo's. Just tryin to get started.

Chuck

Nearly all turbos are oil cooled. Water cooling is nice, a bit of extra work, but can help your turbo last longer.

The TO4 you mention has an enormous turbine housing, and you will probably not get it to spool up on you. The stock T3 turbine has an A/R of 0.63, and most folks using a TO4 on a L28 use an A/R of 0.58. Also it will not bolt up without an adapter - then you have to custom fit the intake plumbing, make a new exhaust downpipe and plumb a wastegate to make it all work.

It sounds like you may be better off with a stock T3 or a hybrid T3/TO4. Have you read Corky Bell's book "Maximum Boost"? That is a very good starting point if you are unfamiliar with turbocharging.

Guest chucklaw33

Hey sleeper,

I wanted to IM you i was interested in knowing what setup you were running. I like your times. Im dropping a zxt in my 71. Do ya mind if i drop you in IM

I'm not sure if i'm correct on this. But an oil cooler cools down the oil that helps lubricate your turbo. Your turbo life depends on cooler oil and good lubrication. On the other hand, your intake is different. An air-to-air intercooler is something 80% of the people do. Air-to-water cooled is a water intercooler and I see it used on drag cars. You would need cool water in the intercooler to be useful. I don't know if i'm 100% correct.

Guest BigWhyteDude

so basicly and inter cooler is sorta like a radiator or an ac condencer it takes out side force (air or water and cools the incoming air down. ?? right? how many degrees does one usual drop the incoming air temp?

so basicly and inter cooler is sorta like a radiator or an ac condencer it takes out side force (air or water and cools the incoming air down. ?? right? how many degrees does one usual drop the incoming air temp?

That depends on the efficiency of the IC and the incoming temperature from the turbo. Ideally you like to get the intake air to 10-20 degrees over ambient; with an air/water unit using ice, you can cool the intake air below ambient.