HybridZ

Now for the pics!!! Z32-->LS1 Conversion!

These pics were taken just prior to the conversion project completion. The only thing left to do at this point was to install the fascia, exhaust, intake, and interior. The hard part had been done. Thank God!

003.jpg

This is the LS1 motor and transmission that would be installed.

015.jpg

Final motor installation. You can see the new firewall. Just needed to be painted!

006.jpg

We had to fab up some test pipe sections that eliminated the LS1 precats.... The precat sections were too wide to fit within the confines of the engine bay.

Miscellanious Motor pics!

010.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

013.jpg

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Well...i havent been able to take it at WOT yet as I was lucky enough to have a valve seat "drop" and hold open the intake valve on the #7 cylinder. It bent a pushrod and chewed up the valve/seat... So hopefully i will have it all put back together by the end of this weekend. Depends on if the machine shop can get my head back by friday.

As far as the firewall...you really dont need to cut that much of it out.. We cut much more than was needed initially. You really just need to cut out a section of the tranny tunnel. If you cut about 3in above the original tunnel on the firewall and keep that distance on all sides..then cut out that section of tranny tunnel 1.5 ft rearward of the firewall--> then weld in a new tranny tunnel that will bridge from the new tranny tunnel openning on the firewall to the rearward section (1.5 ft back). That gives more than enough room for the bellhousing.

The motor mounts were full custom as no one has published any info on tranny/motor mounts for this conversion. I think this is the first documented LS1 Z32 conversion... Correct me if i'm wrong! :0)

I'll post pics of the completely finished product this coming week :0) As soon as i get the heads back on.. :D

How about those headlight buckets?

Pretty sweet!!! :twisted:

What are they out of? How hard was the install?

Rufus

those are the stock headlights on the 300zx..... ...

mike

Actually, they're the headlight buckets from a Lamborghini Diablo...

http://www.supercars.net/PicFetch?pic=1999_lamborghini_diablo_gt-1.jpg

:D Just kidding. It's well known that Lamborghini stole the 300ZX's lights, though they certainly won't admit it. If you ever get a chance to see one close up take note - there is a thin strip of carbon fiber running across the top of the glass. This was put in to cover up the NISSAN logos :D

True....about the headlights!

The bellhousing is just much larger than the stock Z one...but the rest of the tranny fit perfectly with plenty of room. I was surprised.

And the only other things i cut out were the center section where the hood latches to (using hood pins now). and the part of the hood where the hood latch is located. No other cutting.

Guest Grenade300

I used to have a '93 300ZX TT, It was amazingly fast, I'm going to assume that you started with a nonturbo 300ZX. What made you decide to put in a LS1 as oposed to the VG30DETT? Don't get me wrong, I'm all about engine conversions, but a TT motor would have been easier, right? One of my sergents did a nonturbo to turbo conversion on his last gen. 300ZX and said that it was easier than most thought. Was the LS1 cheaper or did you do it for the challenge and creativity of it? Just curious. Anyway, nice job!!! It looks really good :2thumbs:. Be sure to post some 1/4 mile times for us.

I always had a soft spot for 300ZX's. Mine was destroyed when I got caugt in heavy rainstorm and when I went through a 6 inch high puddle, the water swirled up in front of my car and my high flow intake sucked in a bunch of it, anyway sob story short, hydro-locked the engine, bent 2 rods and cracked at least one piston. :cry: