HybridZ

P90 head and stainless valves

Lockjaw

Does anyone have a source for SS valves for the P90?

I want to upgrade mine while I have the head worked on. The only place I have seen anything is Top End, and Steve told me they are having some made, and it will be at least 2 months before they will be available.

I don't want to wait that long.

I know I could shim the cam towers up and shim the springs, but considering I am going with the 2mm thick headgasket, I thought that would not be a smart idea, although my block has been decked 30 thous, already.

So let me hear something from you turbo guys about valves. Thanks

Lockjaw - I'm in the same boat with my new head. Haven't found a source but last year I talked to Donna and she got her's from Manley. I think the cost was reasonable. I would be interested in a group buy for a set if you are interested in pursuing this. Post or PM me. I'm overseas in Manila right now so I'm not a lot of help. Donna posts here once in a while - D83ZXT is her handle I think.

Cheers - Doug

You might want to stay away from TEP - (Steve's) Stainless steel valves. They are cheap $8.00 valves and that's if he sells you the correct valve length in the first place. My recent rebuild showed they weren't worth a darn. I went with Manley's (sp?) This was what was recommended from my highly respectable Z motor builder. They are a bit pricely, if I recall something like $22.00 a peice, but well worth it after seeing the poor quality of TEP's SS valves.

If you would like further info on them you can email me.

Donna

The TEP valve is just your standard SI valve for a non P90/P79 head and is the undercut and swirl polished jobber. It appears they do sell a stock SS valve that is P90/P79 specific, but it is not the performance valve. Here is the link:

http://www.sivalves.com/ocforeign_valvesrep_niss.html

The part # for the turbo stuff is different from the pre 81 stuff. Now, what I was sent was the performance valve that was not intended for the P90 head and here is the link:

http://sivalves.com/ocforeign_valvessp_nis.html

So it appears SI does make a standard stainless valve for the turbo head as shown in the 1st link. Donna has made me feel bad as I run the SI valves in my head. :oops: I don't know if they are junk, but I have had no problems with them. I ended up shimming the cam towers and shaving the head to get the setup correct. This is the only way to get the geometry for the lash correct and maintain the correct spacing for the timing chain. In the end, it is more money and trouble over getting the correct valve, but I was not aware when I ordered these from TEP that they were wrong. In fine BASTARD form they were!

James... You know I would never intentionally make you feel bad.

I looked up my old TEP receipt. It doesn't show the part number. I was billed for SS valves @ 16.00 each, but then after spending money for Steve to build my head back then. I know Gerolamy had to re-do it since my valves was going to hit my pistions if I recall correctly. I know... I know... my head was already sent out before I knew about Gerolamy. If I only knew then, what I know now about TEP. lol

Quote from TEP sales receipt. "It came out great and will cause no problems with the cam timing shims we used." Yeah Right. $1010. worth of head work that had to be redone and this was 3 years ago. :evil:

Donna

PS... How's the 2 little people doing?