HybridZ

can someone help me please

Guest ZmeFly

this is important, well to me anyway. what i need are some real world numbers with either web pages and or some kind of concrete proof to back it up.

car in question is a 67 chevelle SS w/396, owner claims to have 500 hp with only a moderate bore to a 402, mild cam, headers and flomasters, dual pipes, and oh a edelbrock 750 carb.

now this is from the stock 350 hp, which i believe is actually less due to the fact that if im correct in my thinking that was rated at SAE not NET hp.

if anyone could help and or point me in the right direction for REAL WORLD NUMBERS, with CONCRETE BACK UP PROOF, i would greatly appreciate it.

Ill try to give more but there isnt more that the owner is giving, thats his modifications to an original 396 block, which is supposed to have 350 hp stock from the factory. this is all i know about the car.

im not arguing the fact that the car can be made to have 500 horses at all, im arguing that with those mods he comes up with an extra 150 hp.

hell if all you had to do was add a complete exhaust, carb cam and headers, for 150 hp everyone would be doing it.

your not giving nearly enough info, yes its possiable to get 500hp from a 402 but its not comonly done, but you can get a really good idea of the true rear wheel hp,by getting a ET and mph slip and weighting the car

useing this calculator

http://www.prestage.com/Car+Math/ET+and+Horsepower+Calculators/HP+from+ET+and+Weight/default.aspx

lets say that chevelle runs 13.0 and acctually weights 3700 lbs with the driver, thats 333 rear wheel hp , now figureing a 18% drive train loss thats close to 406 flywheel hp, don,t take his word for it ask for a track/ET slip, a chevelle should weight close to 3600lbs-3700lbs with driver, and 500 hp should get him to run about 11.9-12.0 at about 114mph minimum, in fact with the correct traction and tires you can run high 11 second 1/4 mile times at at least 115mph with quite a bit less hp, in fact if he can go faster than 120mph in the quater mile with a car that weights at least 3600 lbs Id say hes close to 500hp

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

It CAN be done, but the tuning would have to be perfect. This should be HP at the flywheel as well.

Take a look here:

http://www.amerspeed.com/dynotested.htm

That page has some pro-built 396 engines and also a 401, which I believe is the same animal you are talking about. Keep in mind those engines definitely do not have stock heads. If this fellow is claiming 500HP and has stock heads (you didnt indicate that he said otherwise), then he is probably 'blowing a little smoke" with that setup :wink:

Oh, as a note on that, I found that a 750 CFM carb is good for about 540 flywheel HP max (see link below), which would be around 500 rwhp. Perhaps someone told him "with that carb, the most you could get would be about 500HP" and he missunderstood? :roll:

Link to Edelbrock page with highest HP output from their 750 CFM carb

Guest Z-rific

I'm with Nic here. Stock iron heads, even from a hi-po engine, would need some black magic to produce 500 horsies.

A stock 350 hp engine already has a mild cam, so depending on what cam he dropped in, he may not have helped himself very much there.

Say for example, he picked up 30 hp with a cam change, 25 hp from headers, maybe 25 hp from carb/intake change. Thats 80 hp gain, when he's looking for 150.

Maybe he has 100 shot of nitro he's not telling about :wink:

i dont think from those mods he hardly has 150 horses there, not to mention wasnt the hp in 67 rated at sae gross and not sae net?

so to begin with he wouldnt even have 350hp!

like i siad no way can he get that kind of power either from the mods mentioned

i just want concrete eveidence of this to shove in his face and shut him up for once and for all. im tired of him shooting my car down!