HybridZ

It runs!

KiD-ViD

well its not a Z but it was my first real experience working on a car. Someone at work forgot to put coolant in a '97 Ford Ranger 3.0 V6 and it overheated and wouldent run. So...they decided it would be a good project for me to work on. They handed me the company credit card and said "make it work". I had no idea what I was doing but I luckily overestimated the project. I thought it was going to be really tough, take me forever, and I would mess up all over the place, but it was actually kinda easy, pretty straight forward. I ended up replacing the top end gaskets and taking the heads in to get magnafluxed and checked. One head was cracked and the other was just warped a bit and needed a rebuild. I got both heads back (including a rebuilt one from a junk yard to replace the cracked one) a few days later, slapped them on and put everything back together last night. I dident bolt up the exhaust manifolds cause it was late and I had to get home, but I couldent resist trying to fire it up. It started right up after a seconed or two pumping gas to the injectors and ran really smooth. I made sure to turn it off right away though so as not to warp the valves. I cant wait to go out there today and finnish so I can drive it up to the main office and hand my boss the keys. After this experience I feel I am pretty ready to take on a Z. Just gotta find one now :-D

Don't forget to recheck the torque on those head bolts after the engine has heat cycled a few times, and since others will be driving the truck, double and tripple check everything you've done...check everything is tight etc...

Well done....

Tim

Don't forget to recheck the torque on those head bolts after the engine has heat cycled a few times' date=' and since others will be driving the truck, double and tripple check everything you've done...check everything is tight etc...

Well done....

Tim[/quote']

yes I will definatly be doing all this. when I drained the oil it was a total milkshake, so I will also be changing the oil again after a few miles to make sure all the water is out of it. too bad everything has to be back on the engine to get it to run. now I will have to rip it all back out to check the tq on the head.