HybridZ

small v12

cameraobsess

hey guys i was thinking about posible engines for a z and came up with an idea. what about a small displacment v12 with twin turbos. i was talking to my friend about it and he mentioned that some kart company makes a 3 litter v12 but i can find anything on it. anyone know anything about it? i think that would be one sweet ride if it was done right.

ok i talked to my friend again and did some more searching. it apears that ford made the engine he was talking about, or atleast the block. after looking a little i found a formula one car with a ford v12. from what i can come up with the engine is a P142 60º V12 with a displacment of 2.998 liter / 182.9 cu in. im still looking because i dont know if this is the same one my friend was talking about because he made it sound more popular. since this one is a formula one engine i figure, fat chance of me ever seeing one. but hey doing these seaches i learn a lot. ferrari made a 3 liter v12 at one point. anyways anyone know anymore about these engines?

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

As far as I know, all of the Indy type cars lease the engines. You cannot buy a used one because they go back to the manufacturer after they have been used and get rebuilt and used again. I know this is how CHAMP cars work, and I am pretty sure the others follow the same general pattern.

Keep in mind too that these engines do not run on gasoline, and run at such extreme rates that you would be unlikely to ever get one streetable. (And, if you did, you would end up getting rid of just about everything but the short-block and have to have a whole new top-end made for you from scratch).

You could go for an old Ferrari engine if you wanted to sink in the money. I saw one on ebay go for like $6400 and it was an old carburated V12 (3.2L if I remember correctly).

EDIT: Sorry, I meant to say OLD :wink:

I follow F1 pretty closely and from what I remember ford never made a modern 12 cyl engine. They started the non turbo years running a V8 and now are running a V10. Those are NA engines and run on gas at a very high RPM (early redlined at 14K and modern ones 19K rpm) and as such that I doubt you could really get a Z car rolling with one. They are made for the teams and only for the teams that contracted to run them so you can't go to summit or Jeg's to get parts for them.

Don

Guest 1JZGTEVVTi

Remember that cameraobsess said he wanted a small displacement engine. Now the Falconer is an ok engine, if you like big displacement (600 CID is a bit big for me, plus it has way to much torque). Anyway, if you are looking for a small engine with some good power figures, you could always check for a 1GZ-FE by Toyota. Alot of people on this site do engine swaps with the 7MGTE and if your crazy like me, and a few others like PhilUK, your planning on dropping in a 1JZ-GTE (or you could already have one, PhilUK, which isa nawesome looking car by the way!). The 2JZ is another great 6, but anyway, the 1GZ-FE was a 5.0 liter V12 with some impressing figures. 356 ft/lbs of torque and the Horsepower should be slightly more than that, since the Japanese Gentlemen's Agreement limits all cars to 280 ps, but companys still produce high ps, they just say it has 280. The engine came out of the newest generation Toyota Century. I'm in the process of trying to get a price quote to see if I could drop this engine into a Soarer (Lexus SC) within the next few years, possibly after I'm done my 240 and I sell it.

Guest 1JZGTEVVTi

Don't get me wrong, toraue is a great thing! :D Remember though, when you place something that first off doesn't fit that well, 600 CID is 9.8 litres. I have never seen anything bigger than an old 351 placed in a Z. A V12 of this size is possibly to big for the engine bay, I'm not quite sure though, it might fit. It is also incredibly heavy, 532 lbs. where a much lighter inline 6 sat. If you want the power, why not go with a lighter inline 6 that makes massive power, say a 1JZ. If you really want to put a V12 in a Z, why not put in a 5.3 jag engine, or this 5 liter V12. Just my $.02.

Guest GLHS895

it's just a novel thought dude. it's more believeable than the topic starters idea of putting in an F1 engine. c'mon, F1 motor? that's not going to happen. falconer v12 = way more likely, but probably still way out of reach.

if a jag v12 will fit i'm sure the falconer will, too. you don't have to have a huge package for huge displacement. it's just slightly longer than an I6, and about as wide as a chevy v8. i bet it'd fit easy 8)

me, i'm going to go for some sort of nissan I6 when i ditch the crummy stock motor. :D

actually my idea was not to put an f-1 engine in the car. i was only talking about a small displacment v12 and the f-1 cars were the closest thing i could find to what i was looking for. what i was asking was if anyone knew something very close in size like in the 3 liter range, if its out there it would be cool. yea i have seen the ferrari one, but is there anything else out there. im not crazy enough to put that 600ci in it or the f-1 engine. im just brain storming here and finding any info i can on what ever is close.

as for the ford V12 question, i call it a ford because thats what i searched for and i found the BRM P153 made in 1970 i think, i dont know if it is actually ford or just something strange in the search. really cool engine though, probably more than i would ever be able to handle.

hey dot I have been watching those posts. they talk about bigger engines though. i think before i went with a v-12 of that size i would go with a v-8 that was close to the same displacment. the reason i say that is the length of the enigne. even a small v-12 would probably be longer than a 5.0 v-8. i just like the idea of a small v12. it would give a really nice sound and would be very diffrent from other cars. if i put in the time to do a conversion i want my car to be very unique. thats not to say that im looking to be super fast of super powerful, just fun.

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

I'd say the most practical engine you are going to be able to attain would be the BMW 5.0L V12. This is about the smallest you are going to get and would be much better than the torque-monster V12's that others are suggesting. I had actually toyed with the idea myself for a little while, but then decided against it due to cost of replacement parts.

thats what i was afraid of. i would love to play around with the idea some more but it just dosnt seam like what i want is available. ill have to play around with some other ideas. so for now im back to the 302 idea. the thing about that is its not compleatly unique. i want something diffrent but not a super car. any other ideas you guys can think of that would be neat?

• 2 weeks later...