HybridZ

Looking at 1971 240z this Saturday 11/08/03

danman

I am looking at buying a 1971 240Z this weekend. Here is what I know about the car. Original owner always in California, always graged. Owner now 88 can't drive anymore. 193,000 miles, original 4-speed and engine. Neither have been rebuilt. Radiator and hoses, belts, have been replaced. 4 yesr old tires with 4,000 miles on them. Original paint Orange with black stripe. Needs new carpet, seat covers, weather strping, etc. Car was in minor front collision in 1982, supposedly fixed correctly. New shocks. His son is selling it, asking for $3,800. Also supposedly only minor surface rust in rear hatch area. This car needs interior, and with that many miles will prob need engine and tranny soon. Very stock car. Does $3,800 sound reasonable for that much work needed? What would you guys offer given that description? Original paint prob. means needs paint job bad. Any help you can offer would be great. This is my first 240Z.[/b]

I have been in the process of gathering knowledge and parts and have been casually looking for a Z for about 6 months now. Any unrestored Z will typically require some drivetrain/suspension work so I would just be concerned with the body. If you can afford a paint job and the actual metal work is very solid I would probably offer around 3 for what u describe. However if the car turns out to be rough I would not pay that much. Worn out Z cars with moderate body rust can be found very cheaply if you take your time. I have seen a few VERY nice cars for ~4k so I wouldn't hop on this deal if the car is not a good 6-7 out of 10. Most Z's out there need tlc so make sure this car is something you are capable of fixing. Good Luck

Guest Venture-Z

That seems like alot of money. You can get a Z with the V8 swap for less than that. With that many miles, It's going to need some work. Try and talk him down and use the money you save to do the work. If he won't come down just keep looking, you can get a really nice Z for under 2K. It also depends on what you want to do to the car, If you're going "ground up" you might as well just get a POS. If you don't want to do much work on it spend the money and get the nicest one you can find. I only spent 1500 on mine, and that was probably to much.

Danman, like Venture-Z said, you can get a really excellent solid Z car for 2 grand or less, it just takes some looking. I got my '72 for $850 with a rebuilt head, good paint, rebuilt early SU's, ZX distributor, and a box full of goodies.

On a side note, from the Zs I've looked at, surface rust is usually a pretty good indication of rust that isnt as visible... good places to check are the floorpans, and the sheetmetal between the spare tire well and the back hatch. Mine was slightly rusted in the back, and had a baseball sized hole on the passenger floorboard.

Guest HBskinheadZ

I just bought a 71 w/auto trans on Tuesday for $500 and it hauls a$$, some minor rust in front of back wheels, needs a hood and some other parts but interior is complete and currently registered until 4/04. Keep looking, have cash on hand this guy wanted $1200, "Cash talks"

I now have a better idea what to pay for the car now. Thanks for all the advice. I have my inspection mirror, flaslight and magnet ready to check the car. If it seems good I will take to local Z-mechanic and have him run some tests on it. If all is sound I will start with 1,000 and set limit of 1,500. Car sounds like it needs quite a bit of restoration.

Thanks for the help hope to be the proud owner of Z soon.