HybridZ

Z32 motor into a Z31

Guest Josef of Datsun

Guest Josef of Datsun

I searched and couldn't find anything on this...

Besides ECU and harness work, what is involved in putting a z32 VG30DETT into my 85 300ZX n/a? Will the mounts bolt up or do they need to be fabricated? Which transmission should I use? Driveshaft mods? Any extraordinarily difficult things that will need to be done?

thanks

Guest Smooth Operator

Your pretty much on your own. Theres no documentation whatsoever that I know of. Theres pics of 2 different Z31's floating around with the TT motor, i have 2 pics of one of them which i will now upload to my album.

Guest Josef of Datsun

thats interesting. I thought that conversion would be much more common. I guess theres always the RB swap... I was just thinking the VG30DETT would be cheaper.

thanks for the quick reply.

check for info on z31.com, I believe the 89 Z31 in japan came with the vg30dett, so it'll go but the wiring is gonna be the issue, also the jap z31 had th zr200 which was powered by an rb20det, so from there the rb26dett shouldn't be any more dificult, the zr200 donates the motor mounts and oil pan needed for the s30 swap, but it isn't ideal engine placement on an z30

Guest Josef of Datsun

ok i guess I'll keep looking around, for now I'm just gonna fix the stock motor, I'm just laying out my cards to see what options I've got for the future (and to know how much $$$ I need to save up). The FI wiring won't be an issue, cause I plan on installing an SDS system, and if I go with a VG30DETT, I'll try to get one out of a 96 so I wont' have to mess with the variable valve timing system.