HybridZ

tire wear

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

What sort of misalignment will cause the front wheels to wear faster on the outside edge than the inside, and do so equally on both front wheels? Is this from being "lowered wrong"?

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

is this something that any alignment technician can correct, or is this something that will take some work on my part like adding a spacer or something?

Could positive camber cause that kind of wear too?

Positive camber can wear them like that too (well almost). Camber wear will show as a smooth wear, whereas toe wear will be a scrub type wear (tire will be feathered). Setting toe is very easy, but you should take it to an alignment shop. Since your car is lowered, I kinda doubt that it's a camber wear. Also, both sides would have to have to have significant + camber to wear the same on both sides. Also, it takes a lot longer for camber to wear tires as there is very little rolling resistance. Toe will wear pretty quickly as the tires are constantly being 'scrubbed'.

Tim

I wouldn't rule out not enough negative camber. If you're driving hard around corners and the tires are rolling over because you don't have enough neg camber, that will cause the outside edges to wear. If the tread blocks aren't feathered as Tim said, try some more neg camber.

You can tape measure the toe in the driveway just to see if that is the problem. Just pick a spot on the tread that you can use as a reference, and measure front and back of the wheel as high up as you can. Should probably have about 1/8" narrower measurement in front than back.

Jon