HybridZ

Triple Carbs - Full Flow or dead head

Guest Kelsey Mitchell

Guest Kelsey Mitchell

Hey there,

I have a l28 running triple solex carbs which is dead headed at the last carb. I was wondering if it would be any good to run this as a full flow system. ie a loop which runs through all the carbs and back to a FPR?

Also what would be the correct pressure to run in this system and does anyone know of rebuild kits for the solex carbs?

Cheers!!

Let me see. I used to have the triple setup with Solex Mikunis 44s. The original fuel system on my 260 was a return type system so I just plugged into that. I also have ran dead head but it sucks if you use too much pressure. Gas will pour out of your carbs onto your headers and WILL cause a fire (I know). Change the fitting on the last carb to flow thru and run a line back to the tank that should already be there! Just my 2 cents...

I think I ran like 5.5 or 6 PSI on those. You can test them by starting at 5 and watching the bells to make sure no gas comes out and also by bogging/starving upon acceleration etc. If it cuts out youll know your starving for fuel...adjust accordingly in .5 degree settings... :wink:

I think all 3 of the triple weber/solex/mikuni cars we've had in the shop here have been a dead-head setup. However, at least one of them has some issue with temps and vapour lock that would probably be cured with a return system. So... either way works, but the return line is likely a better choice all else being equal.

Mine is a "dead head". Never heard that term before now. I believe the specified fuel pressure is 3.5 psi, I think 6 psi will pump gas past the needle and seats. I have a simple Purolator fuel pressure regulator on mine to get that pressure. I've never had a problem with vapor lock. The triples that I've seen with vapor lock problems have all been run without insulators. Bad idea. Supposedly the Nissan Comp rubber insulators are the best, but I've been running the stock Mikuni asbestos insulators, and my carbs aren't hot to the touch unless it idles for 1/2 hour on a hot day. Even when they get hot, they don't vapor lock with my setup.

The SU's I had on there previously did vapor lock, and that problem went away when I completely did away with the mechanical fuel pump and the metal fuel rail even before I went to triples. The stock fuel pump and rail are the two main causes of vapor lock, IMO.

A return system would definitely extend the life of your fuel pump though.

Jon