HybridZ

Turbo Dying?

cygnusx1

I turned up the boost on my many mile old turbocharger to 10psi from stock. I have driven it a few times this way and it makes great power but.... When I start the car in cold weather (25-35degF) if I get on boost a little (3psi or so) with the car not fully warmed up, I hear a vibration squeel from the turbo bearing. It's the typical sound of a bearing with too much clearance OR no oil. Once everything is warmed up, it works fine and makes 10 PSI easily. I have not yet checked for oil in the j-pipe. I am running Mobile1 10W-30. Should I start shopping for a new turbo, a rebuilt one, or do I have an oiling problem, or both?

If you guys think I may need to replace the turbo, what and where? I am looking for 240-250 RWHP, low end torque, with stock electronics, stock mechanicals, and injectors. A good intercooler will be part of the equation and I would like to re-use the stock intake pipe and exhaust mounting arrangements. :wink:

Dave C.

Guest Zcarsmakemyheadhurt

Nice ride dave, real nice. If you want to check the turbo take the AFM boot off, push pull and move the turbine shaft around checking for play. If it has none everything should be fine, it it has damage or too much play your screwed. But it is going to be bad or good there is no in between. If your looking to upgrade or rebuild let me know, a TO4B will only require minimal fuel injection upgrades for good safe higher horsepower level. I can take care of it for a good deal. Good luck.

Alex,

Shaft has a little bit of end and axial play. Not huge play but enough to start thinking of a rebuild or replacement.

What amount do you charge for a stock rebuild and what do you charge for a step up? Like a better compressor wheel, machined housing with a balance job? Assume using my existing core in rebuildable condition.

Thanks,

Dave C.

Guest znow white
If you want to check the turbo take the AFM boot off, push pull and move the turbine shaft around checking for play. If it has none everything should be fine, it it has damage or too much play your screwed.

so where the air comes in the turbo if the turbine moves its shot?

cuz mine moves all ova but i know my turbo shot....

I thought it should spin freely so air can come in easier........

Someone should do a little tech article describing all these T#'s and what they mean.

like:

T3 means what?

T4 means what?

Trim means what?

Maybe I should pick up a book for a change..... :lol:

HERE IS WHAT I THINK I'VE PICKED UP HERE:

I think the stock ZX Turbo is a pure T3/T3 that means both turbine and compressor housings are T3 type? size? model? whatever....

I think T3/T4 we refer to here is a T3 turbine and a T4 compressor housing. This combo bolts up to a ZX exhaust system but the air inlet and outlet may be different (larger?)

Turbines and Compressors can have different "wheels" with different trims. Trim value is not related to the T3 or T4 or T#.......housing, it is simply a physical property ("compression ratio") of the wheel inside the housing. Compressor and turbine wheels can be changed independantly but must fit properly into the housing.

I am just guessing up there^ but that is what I deduced from lurking the board. Can someone pick up the ball, fix it, and complete the story?

THERE IS THE SPARK.....lets get a good educational thread going!

Okay, I understand now.

For those of you who dont know, there are two main parts to a turbo. One is the compressor, and the other is the turbo housing, or whatever you want to call it.

The turbo compressor is the part that has the wheel that you can see where it pretty much looks like a snail's shell. (This is usually the shiny chromey or polished looking thing)

The other part is the turbo housing, or others have called it many things. That's the actual part that bolts up to the turbo manifold and the exhaust spins the shaft. (This sometimes looks like the rusted part of the turbo, but is just usually darker due to the exhaust heat)

The shaft goes all the way to the compressor housing which spins the turbine wheel, which sucks in the air.

Guest Zcarsmakemyheadhurt

I wish I wasn't at my job so I can get in deep about whats what on a T3/T4 but I need to make a living during the day and you guys got the idea. I'll tell you this much a T3/T4 upgrade will bolt to your factory manifold. I suggest a small TO4B upgrade on stock EFI and injector cars, maybe a Super H TO4B compressor (largest wheel of the TO4B) if your gonna do stock efi fuel upgrades (additional injectors or FMU). The TO4E super 60 housings are much larger and require a spacer to clear the exhaust manifold, and if your not running a large injector with a tuneable efi system I wouldn't bother, unless you have some tricks up your sleve. Next suggestion, get a Turbonetics Catalog lots of good info there.

Also Innovative Turbos also have a really good catalogue from what I've seen, and so far their tech support or support team at the phones is fucken awesome! They'll even mail you a free catalogue.

http://www.innovativeturbo.com I'm trying to do a T3/T4 through them, maybe with a T04E Housing to make a little more. Well don't know what I'm doing now but for sure something is going in.

Guest Want aZ

Hey Cig, Check out this months HOT ROD, There is an excellent article on turbo basics...Its just the start of a series. Explains A/R, Hybrid turbos, t3's. T4's, and others...

Damon