HybridZ

SBC 350/LT1 New Member Question

Guest ckmoss01

Guest ckmoss01

Good Morning:

I am a proud yet wet behind the ears owner of a 77 Z with a 350SBC. The previous owner indicated the enine is an LT1 from a 99 Vette with a companion 6-speed transmission. (K&N circular top-style air filter has Turbo 350 sticker on it, for what it is worth.)

On looking at the forum, I noticed that someone indicated the distributor for an LT1 is in the fron of the engine? Mine is in back. Does this mean I don't have an LT1?

Just trying to get my toe wet and learn from the forum.

Additionally, how can I tell if I have a Scarab or JTR setup?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

CMOSS

If it has the circular air filter on the top of the engine, than it's not a LT1, or LS1. You have a carburetted engine (or maybe throttle body injection). The guy you bought it from is either very misinformed, or is feeding you a long line of Bull.

If the distributor is within 2 inches of the firewall, then it's a JTR, if the sits high and forward, then it's a SCARAB.

Tim

Yea distributor is in front of engine behind the water pump. Dont understand air cleaner on top of engine. Normally you have it located on the front in front of your throttle boddy and mas air senson. Also 99 vett's I don't believe had Lt-1's usally LS'1's.

Does it have a carb.? under that air cleaner if so you have a old model SBC 350 early 80's. But a T-56 6 speed Hmmmm? To be sure check your numbers on your block. Better yet (and faster) Look on a corvette website and see if your engine and engine in a 99 vette look the same http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com With regards to your JTR your engine distributor should be about 1/2 an inch from the firewall, Scarab the engine is located a bit farther forward.

Guest ckmoss01

It sounds like the older SBC 350 is what I have, because the carb is below the air filter.

However, it is a six-speed, althogh the car really moans in 6th in low-mid RPM range.

Does the presence of the 6-speed cause any of you concern with the SBC 350? I know that he said it had the elctrical speedo, so my speedo doesn't work - when someone asks about speed, I just say "fast".

Thanks again for any additional input.

CMOSS

It is most likely that you have an older 350 engine. The way to tell is to look at the water pump. If it is driven by a belt, it's the older 350. If it is gear-driven, it will be the LT1.

There is a carbureted manifold available for the LT1, and the LT1 can also use a standard distributor, so it’s possible that this is an LT1, but these parts are quite expensive, and I doubt that someone would have changed an LT1 over to carbs for a street engine swap.

Either way, welcome to the forum and we look forward to hearing more about your car!

Jeff E.

Guest ckmoss01

My bad - sorry for the two separate posts.

In response to a reply to my other question:

i]If it is in fact an LS-1 it should be easy to tell as it should have a black composite F/I intake manifold. It the motor and tranny are out of a 99 vette then it should have a transaxle type of tranny meaning that the tranny is part of the rear diff. Can you tell us if it is carburated or F/I? Another way to narrow it down is to find out what side the oil dipstick is on as well as whether it has a one piece rear main. This will help narrow it down to a late or early model block. As the other guys stated one surefire way to tell is with the casting numbers. Hope some of this rambling helps. Cheers !!! [/i]

For what it is worth, the dipstick is on the right side if you are facing the engine from the front.

Tranny is transaxle-type, if I understand the meaning correctly.

Thanks again, JTR Manual will be here in a few days!

CMOSS

[