HybridZ

1976 280z daily driver-- no power to the fuel pump- help?!?

Fastzdriver

I have a 1975 and a 1976 280z, the 75' is getting a TPI 383 backed with a T56 and is going fine however I recently purchased a stock 76' 280z for my daily driver ( my cars got flooded by hurricane Isabelle needed a new ride). Well back to the point, the fuel pump on the 76' was frozen up so i rebuilt a spare i had lying around. But i'm not getting any power to the fuel pump. i have the service manual and i have checked the harness out thoroughly per the manuals instructions however i am still not getting any power to the pump. the aif flow meter checks out, as do all the relays and sensors. and of course so does the battery. the last thing i can think it may be is the ECU. any help will be greatly appreciated since if i cant get it going i will be forced to spend the winter on my motorcycle since my other cars got ruined- no insurance or aid from FEMA unfortunately. Any ideas or if anyone knows a surefire way to check out the ECU will be helpful. thanks in advance

the engine has spark and runs like a top with starting fluid, only problem i can find is simply a lack of power to the fuel pump. i tested the fuel injection relay out per the service manual and it checked out ok. and i know i have power coming into the ECU from the harness checks just no power to the pump. and when i put voltage directly to the pump it reuns smooth and pumps fuel ok. i am pretty much at a complete loss. after studying the wiring diagram the ECU being bad seems to be the only answer but i want to get some feedback befor i go get one from my local z junkyard..... oh and a general note for all z owners in VA, the is a junkyard in Chesapeake called East Coast Z which has only z's in stock. The owners name is Barry and I have been dealing with him for years, nice guy. If anyone needs his # just let me know. again back to my problem, any advise is well appreciated. thanks again :?:

I know the 78 has different relay locations than the 76, but this happened to me... my fuel pump would cut in and out.. finally hardwired the fuel pump to a switch in the counsel.. .never had another problem. Things to check for you....

Make sure the FUEL PUMP RELAY is working... not the injection relay.

BTW the ECU has nothing to do with the pump... it's controled off ignition power and a relay.. thas it.

Also... if it's a 2+2 pull out the back seat... there is a red and green wire... these wires go through a gromet under the seat to the fuel pump... they have connectrs in plastic covers... make sure those are clean and tightly connected.

Obviously your power wire is not hot... verify this with a volt meter.

Also make sure when you turn the key.. that the red seat belt light comes on.. this is an easy sign the ignition system is working properly.

If this doesn't help let me know...

i had many nightmares with my 78 280z 2+2

-Ed

I actually made a custon counsel for my radio, so where the ash tray is i put in a switch manel in the one i made... about 8 switches, one fog lights, one electric fan, one was for a gauge light... anyway the last one was the fuel pump. I actually like it better there... if somebody stole the car... they wouldn't think to fip switches in an ashtray to start the vehicle! Kind of a safety device.

-Ed