HybridZ

Majestic turbos, good or bad?

aarang

Well I was ready to plunk down the cash on a new turbo yesterday, so I thought I would call Majestic. After doing mucho research, doing searches on this site, and reading Maximum Boost about a hundred times, I came up with the combo of a T04e 60/ T3 stg V. Kevin at Majestic said that this combo would be too big and would not spool to full boost until about 4000rpm's. I had read other info saying this is not true. He suggested a T04e 57/ T3 stg III. I don't really like the comp map for the 57 and I don't want the engine to run out of breath at 5500rpm's. I am going to run a nominal comp ratio of 8.2/1 so it won't be a slug off the bottom end. Another suggestion was to run the T04e 50/ T3 stg III. The map for the 50 seems almost like it was designed for the L series engines, but others have said that it does run out of breath at higher rpm's.

Also i have read that other people have had reliability problems with Majestic turbos. Is there another reputable company that won't charge me an arm and a leg like Turbonetics or Jim Wolf?

Any comments or opinions/ help is greatly appreciated! :-D

Thanks

Aaron

Guest bastaad525

yeah two people on here recently had problems with majestic turbos dying SUPER quick, though had no problems getting them replaced under warranty... still... makes you wonder.

send me an e-mail, I can get in touch with a garrett master distributer so you can get the right turbo. Brand new from Garrett with a one year warranty and with the proper specifications on the turbine/compressor wheel. The specs you listed seem reasonable, but he may be able to provide you other options that may allow for a quicker spool. just let me know, I am always willing to help those who are willing to seek help. I make no money off this transaction and only provide help because I want to see people happy.

Guest szlash280z

I had mine done by majestic. and it failed within 1000 miles. I think I am one of the two bastaad mentioned. I had no problems with the warranty though. But they claimed my turbo died from oil starvation, I know that is likely wrong because I checked my oil line. Oil spewed all over the place when I started the car for 4 seconds with my oil line disconnected. I don't think I would recommend them.

First of all the 57mm on paper is a fantastic turbo, when pushed passed 18psi it starts running out of breath. Otherwise you are blessed with very high thermal effeciency over a wide range. When sizing a turbo for the street/strip always pick your peak torque airflow and average boost pressure in the center island of the map. You spend very little time 1 mabey 2 seconds above 6000rpms. Surge lines do matter, if you run a compressor in the range it will cause premature failure.

I bought James old 57mm with stage III .63 a/r. The thing has some major hammer down low and keeps pulling. It seems very well suited for the engine. It pulls harder than my n/a motor from 1500rpm and up in second gear. I have ha good luck with majestic, very prompt service. But that is just one case.

Guest Zcarsmakemyheadhurt

Aaron, look into a Mitsubishi TDO6 upgraded to 20G. Those turbos will not drop off at any boost level and I have made them bolt on to a L28 manifold. If your car is mildly modifide its quick responding and durable. If you have a standalone or are going anywhere near 400hp at the crank I would suggest a external wastegate. Good luck.

Alex C

• 4 weeks later...
Guest szlash280z

when I talked to majestic turbo, I didn't really get a warm fuzzy at all. I didn't even get the feeling that he knew what he was talking about. He wasn't very helpful with me, I was a newb to turbos and he didn't really make an effort to answer my questions or anything. "just send it to us and we'll check it out" type answers were all I got. I didn't get a call when they received my turbo so they didn't ask me what I wanted done to it. I don't know why I let them rebuild it in the first place after getting the bad vibes.

Got my turbo back finnally (I sent it there in FEB) Anyways, I got the same bad feeling when I called them, they blamed me for the turbo being there so long, though they could never return any of my phone calls. I had to tell him to find the turbo while I held on the line. Good news is its back! bad news is I need to find someone reputible to rebuild it. Later

~Kenny

I eventually got my turbo from Turbo's Direct in Phoenix ( Thanks James!).

They are very knowledgable and the price was excellent for a brand new turbo. I would highly recommend them. Their phone number is 602-870-1456. Talk to Scott. You don't get the bad vibe from them like at Majestic!

Aaron