HybridZ

How to tell if my rearend is a 180 or 200?

Phyte

Is there anyway other then tearing it apart and measuring the ring gear to tell if I've got a 200 or 180? Surely its marked on the outside of the carrier?

I've got a 74 260z which had a 180 stock I know, but the guy I bought it from had the engine and trans swapped from a 280z, and he had no clue if they also swapped the rearend. I'll be very happy if they swapped the r200 from the 78!

Phyte

• 2 years later...
Cars with automatic transmissions had the R-180 diffs, All manuals and turbos had R-200s.
i would not go by that one my car is a stock manual car and it came with a 180 in it with 3.36 gears i still don't see what the problem with the rear end is i am a little over 400 hp on this little so called cheap rear end and 200 passes down the drag strip and nothing wrong yet .. i think most of the problems with it are driver abuse or a manual trans and slicks that won't work well with this rear end .. but hey just my opinion ..lol when it breaks i will upgrade

Phyte,

Good to see you are still kicking! Always a controversy on the R180 vs the R200. Bottom line iw that the R200 is heavier and it will carry more horsepower & torque - same thing to be said about the R230. It's pretty much a function of use as to whether you need something more than the R180 - then again - I've always liked the idea of killing flys with planets.:twisted: