HybridZ

FUBARS

In doing these transplants we have all done things that we could have done better - "Oh no, I wish I hadn't done that - But it's too late!"

I'm not looking for a laugh at y'alls expense but it sure would be nice to avoid the same mistake by knowing that it is a mistake.

Any takers?

Here's a brief list off the toppa my head:

• [*]
Going LS1 instead of the simpler LT1 (I sooo woulda been done by now)[*]Letting HVAC dictate my LS1 install (Now I have a steering dilemma)[*]Swapping in that stupid 280Z HVAC in the 1st place (shoulda gone aftermarket)[*]Homemade steel rear disc calipers (shoulda bought some)[*]Burning my seat belt (resting on floor, welding floor brace from below)[*]Miscalculating my driveshaft length (that's gonna cost me)[*]I'm sure there's more, that's all that occur to me now. [/list:u:0bb69f3967]I guess my list isn't actually too bad all things considered. I'm definately glad I did all the brake and suspension stuff first. I really wish this swap wasn't taking so long (but I should know better). All in all I thin kthings are going fairly well.

Things I did wrong:

1) Leaving the distributor on during the motor install - banged the firewall good, popped the plate off.

2) Putting the replacement distributor on after the front bolts were on loosely, then wiggling the transmission around enough to bang the firewall again, another replacement. sigh.

3) Deciding to do everything at once. Bad case of "since I have it apart I might as well..."

4) Trying to adapt the donor car wiring. Painless wiring harness expensive? Consider my time at $10.00 per hour. Or $5.00 per hour... Painless starts to look like a *killer* deal.

5) Remembering I hated orange only *after* I laid the first coat on the fenders.

6) Painting and bodywork before the car was fully streetable.

7) Rebuilding my own motor. Done it before, nothing new there, not especially fun (any more), crate motors are cheap, reliable, and *warranteed*.

8) Keeping close track of the costs. It's going to be expensive, but not *nearly* as bad as buying a new car. For the "too much" money I've spent on the Z, I couldn't have made the first years' payments on a Civic, and that would have sucked.

9) Allowed the cats to live after walking on hours-old paint.

Things I did *right*:

1. Found this sight, learned how to use the "search" function, then used it. A lot.

2. Went to a Z get-together (Rio Vista). Lots of good ideas, lots of good folks, excellent for helping to see the end of the tunnel.

3. *Memorized* the JTR book.

4. Considered the whole thing a "process", and not a way of getting a cool new car. "I've got a great project going" is a lot more fun than "It's not done yet".

5. Asked questions when stuck, even when they were dumb. A couple of them turned out to be important.

6. Gave up on "Better than factory". "Good enough for me" is much easier to reach, satisfactory.

7. Got a great woman (25 years ago - see, I'm always planning ahead) and then (sort of accidently) got her involved. Took her to the Z show (mentioned above), she mentioned she just loved that yellow Z, ultimately painted that car that color. Now she loves it (she was ambiguous before, now she actually looks out the back window at the car sitting there on stands and says "That's just the prettiest thing - thank you for painting it my color, honey..." Score!)

8. Deciding to do something special. I could have bought a Corvette, I guess, but every fat bald middle-aged guy in America has a 'Vette. I want to be the fat bald middle-aged guy in a pretty little yellow sleeper Monster-Zee. The difference is subtle, but important.

Guest Anonymous

I think thats the nature of car projects. You put in what you like and then deal with all the issues it causes. Swaps are just that way IMHO. The JTR manual is a good primer for sure, but some thing they didn't mention is how bad the wiring is in the Z's.

I'm of the opinion that the car's wiring is marginal at best with as much juice as the chevy starter is putting through it. I've had mine melt a primary starter wire from the switch to the starter solenoid which I had to rewire with something heavier.

I've had my fan wiring melt down twice, both times I was just examining it, it was still running but let me tell you, that Taurus fan draws some amps Jack. I rewired it for the second time and this time went with even heavier wire and a bigger fusable link along with the relay.

Things I did wrong I think I've mentioned in the past, 2 bad exhaust systems when I should have just had it made right the first time by an expert.

Not taking the time to do a complete swap with all the upgrades, it cruises ok, but the rear end still needs changing and the front diff mount is toast. I did the cheap brake upgrade and I was happy with it for a street car, but I do wish I had gone fuelly and had time to do it all right, but I had to have it as a daily driver.

I should have stayed automatic since the car came that way, would have been far easier than dropping in pedals and all the crap I had to do to make that work (it was partially a problem because I was given the wrong year clutch pedal from Z barn and I had to get creative with the clutch pedal (bend it to the left to give me room) and had to fab up pushrod linkage for the pedal because being a different year it had a different offset.

Thats about all I can think of, but I'll doubt anyone will put one together and not reflect on something they might have done better or different.

Good luck,

Lone

Hmmm, I've had a lot of bad luck but no real huge mistakes. No...I take that back :rolleyes:

BAD

1. Using too much silicone sealant on the engine which ended up getting squished inside, melting into the oil, and then coating the cylinder walls, thereby seizing the pistons. No damage though!

2. Not being patient and jumping on the first thing I see. Went from stock front brakes, to the 4x4 Toyo and 300ZX rotor/280ZX rear setup, then to 5-lugs all the way around. Sold most of the stuff but still have the 4lug 300ZX + spacers for sale.

Buying a Craftsman welder...

Somehow killing 3 starter motors during attempted startup/break-ins.

Spraying clear coat on from too far away and ending up with major orange peel.

6. Buying a damper install/remove tool from Kragen (what's the status on that Tim?)

7. Not hammering the trans tunnel enough for my T56.

8. Having parents who open the garage door and forget to close it at night...Missing: 1 Rotozip, 1 DA sander, 1 distributor, 1 air ratchet, 1 Peugot 12-speed bike, etc etc.

GOOD

1. Starting this forum 3 years ago.

2. Asking LOTS of questions.

3. Selling as much no-longer-used stuff as possible.

4. Returning/exchanging as much broken stuff as possible!

5. Reading other sites on other cars to get as much technical info as possible.

So, 3 years and she still ain't running!

Owen

Guest greimann

One major fubar:

Being stupid / cheap with the fuel lines by using Home Depot material. Burnt the car real good (She blowed up good huh?). In the subsequent rebuild I learned a lot about 37 degree AN fittings, so in every tragedy there is some good.